QI in America

You might have seen the press clippings about the attempts to get QI shown in the United States. It has been turned down by four different channels mainly because of the cost and copyrighting of the images the show uses.

Fans have tried to put pressure on TV channels to broadcast the series. There is a "QI in America" petition with over 8,000 signatures at the time of writing (you can sign it too here).

Now I've decided to get in on the act, by setting up a Facebook group called "Broadcast QI in America". If you want to join, please do and spread the word. The group's Facebook page is here.

By the way, if this page needs to be moved to the "Foreign" section, please do move it.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 12 2009, 8:05 PM BST

Now I've decided to get in on the act, by setting up a Facebook group called "Broadcast QI in America". If you want to join, please do and spread the word. The group's Facebook page is here.

Why?

Quote: Rob H @ August 12 2009, 9:12 PM BST

Why?

Because QI has quite a few fans in America, but all they can see are clips from YouTube and clips downloaded illegally. I think, as do quite a lot of others judging by the size of the petition, would like QI to be shown on American TV as well as British. QI is a very good series and the only reason why US TV companies won't broadcast it is the cost, which I think is a bit of a lame excuse.

Hmmmm. All sounds a bit selfless to me... :)

Well, maybe it is, but as got some approval from those behind the show. One of the QI elves (researchers), Justin Pollard, has just joined the group.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 12 2009, 8:05 PM BST

It has been turned down by four different channels mainly because of the cost and copyrighting of the images the show uses.

That seems highly implausible. What images are we talking about here, and what makes them so expensive that the BBC can afford them but US TV channels cannot?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 13 2009, 4:00 PM BST

That seems highly implausible. What images are we talking about here, and what makes them so expensive that the BBC can afford them but US TV channels cannot?

The images in question are the ones you see on the screens behind the panel.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 13 2009, 4:23 PM BST

The images in question are the ones you see on the screens behind the panel.

Oh, hang on, I get your meaning. You're talking about importing the British version, not making an American version. That makes more sense. Ignore me.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 13 2009, 4:27 PM BST

Oh, hang on, I get your meaning. You're talking about importing the British version, not making an American version. That makes more sense. Ignore me.

It's alright. It's might fault for not making it clear.

Frankly, this would have TV networks in the US running very quickly in the other direction. This is just not what the American public would watch. It's too British and too informative. I'm not saying they're aren't American fans of the show, but no sane network would air this and expect anything less than last place in the ratings.

The only network it could fit would be PBS, but they are already a cash strapped channel so I doubt it.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ August 14 2009, 5:25 AM BST

Frankly, this would have TV networks in the US running very quickly in the other direction. This is just not what the american public would watch. It's too british and too informative. I'm not saying they're aren't american fans of the show, but no sane network would air this and expect anything less than last place in the ratings.

Only network it could fit would be PBS, but they are already a cash strapped channel so I doubt it.

I don't know. The Book of General Ignorance was a bestseller in the States as well as over here. If you were to broadcast in in the states, I think BBC America would probably be the best bet.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ August 14 2009, 5:25 AM BST

Frankly, this would have TV networks in the US running very quickly in the other direction. This is just not what the American public would watch. It's too British and too informative. I'm not saying they're aren't American fans of the show, but no sane network would air this and expect anything less than last place in the ratings.

The only network it could fit would be PBS, but they are already a cash strapped channel so I doubt it.

What about HBO? They tend to collaborate with the BBC a lot on dramas.

Quote: Gluben @ August 15 2009, 12:46 AM BST

What about HBO? They tend to collaborate with the BBC a lot on dramas.

That would be possible, and they do broadcast show which last a full half-hour without adverts.

Being an American in America, I have to say that it would most likely only work on PBS or HBO. But it would have to be your show. With a couple of exceptions we do a terrible job of translating your shows to our TV.