BCG Meet up 2009 Page 53

Quote: sootyj @ August 10 2009, 7:17 PM BST

If you get an Oyster card then the most you'll spend in a day is about fiver.

He's right you know.

Leevil, if you are in town only for a day and you don't want to use the Tube you could get a one-day bus pass for about £3 or £3.50 (can't remember exactly). If you're not going too far bus might be okay but over longer distances you will be screwed, and a Travelcard is a better bet (Zone 1-2 Travelcard is £5.60 after 9.30 and at weekends).

The one thing you *must not* do - alert all visitors - is pay single cash fares on Tube or bus. The fares are stupidly expensive (£4 each trip for Tube, for example).

You could bring some roller blades and rope, Bozzer Johnson has agreed to give free tows on his bike to upto 5 people a day.
I think Davey Cameron has a similar deal but only for conservative voters.

Quote: Badge @ August 10 2009, 7:35 PM BST

He's right you know.

Leevil, if you are in town only for a day and you don't want to use the Tube you could get a one-day bus pass for about £3 or £3.50 (can't remember exactly). If you're not going too far bus might be okay but over longer distances you will be screwed, and a Travelcard is a better bet (Zone 1-2 Travelcard is £5.60 after 9.30 and at weekends).

The one thing you *must not* do - alert all visitors - is pay single cash fares on Tube or bus. The fares are stupidly expensive (£4 each trip for Tube, for example).

And an Oyster single on a bus is £1 and free after 4 journies.

The cash fair is £2!

I'm going for two days in a few weeks, the next time I'll probably be there again is the meetup. If there's a top-up option, might as well go for that.

Quote: sootyj @ August 10 2009, 7:31 PM BST

It's a good system isn't it?

For the most part, yeah.

Quote: Leevil @ August 10 2009, 7:46 PM BST

I'm going for two days in a few weeks, the next time I'll probably be there again is the meetup. If there's a top-up option, might as well go for that.

Aye, there is. Order one now: www.tfl.gov.uk/oyster

Quote: sootyj @ August 10 2009, 7:27 PM BST

You have to pay £5 which is £2 initial credit and a £3 deposit (which is refundable). Then you top up after that either with weekly/monthly season tickets or just with credit.

It then works out the cheapest version based on your usage.

Which is something like 4x£1 bus journeys, then free after that as it becomes a bus pass.

You can buy them over the counter at Tube stations.

And loads of newsagents too.

I am looking forward to this so much. It is going to be great.

Yep! Should be fun Darren.

Quote: Lord Summerisle @ July 21 2009, 12:00 AM BST

Will there be shouting and an indoor Falconry display?

I'm very much a part timer but would be nice to have a booze with like minded individuals. Perhaps you could arrange a West Side Story-esque fight with a rival forum.

Strong maybe from me.

Hello again Ellie, I just saw the your update about full capacity and wanted to check that my strong maybe above was still included? Do I need to upgrade to a firm almost definitely with an en-suite pretty certainly?

Thanks!

Quote: Mat Brooks @ August 10 2009, 2:55 PM BST

do we know when and where the meet up will be yet?

Tot Court Rd is about 3/4 mile long,

So is the meeting near
1. North end (nr Warren St Station)
2. Middle near Goodge St
3. South (nr Centrepoint).

Quote: Aaron @ August 10 2009, 7:29 PM BST

Also worth noting that if you're using it on PAYG mode, you'll never get charged more than a day travelcard.

And the money doesn't expire if you don't use the card fo a while.

Quote: billwill @ August 11 2009, 4:57 PM BST

And the money doesn't expire if you don't use the card fo a while.

Smashing! :)

We have confirmed the booking today, so I can reveal that the meet will be in the Old Crown Public House, at 33 New Oxford Street. It is exactly half-way between Tottenham Court Road and Holborn Tube stations.

Google Maps

http://www.old-crown.co.uk/

Another tip for tube travellers is to make sure you put some dry ice in your rucksack before getting on the tube. This will ensure you get the carriage to yourself. However beware Met police officers if you do do this, especially if you're Brazilian. I thank you.

Quote: Aaron @ August 11 2009, 6:23 PM BST

http://www.old-crown.co.uk/

Nice.

Yes, I'm extremely jealous...

Looks lovely. And close to the hotel too. Pleased