The Royle Family in 10 min segments

I watched The Royle Family's piece on Comic Relif 2009, which was 100 times funnier than the Christmas special.

Instead of half hour shows or hour long specials the BBC should commission short segments of The Royle Family and show it in 10 min segments, much like they did with Marion and Geoff when it first aired.

And, IIRC, Look Around You.

Interesting idea. Although it should have gone in an existing The Royle Family thread.

Problem comes with scheduling these ten minute shows. Where do they fit? Because you need a fifty minute or twenty minute show to go with them...

Although I agree that more ten minute shows would be an interesting way of developing new ideas and talent.

Yeah, I reckon there could be some amazing stuff if they had ten minutes sot- they'd use ideas that might not have enough scope for a half hour episode. Reckon it would cange the face of comedy so brilliant suggestion bt I can't see anyone being prepared to do it- Mairion and Geoff was a one off.

10 minute comedies on the BBC - Look Around You, We Are History and Posh Nosh spring to mind.

Quote: Splodge @ July 31 2009, 11:24 AM BST

10 minute comedies on the BBC - Look Around You, We Are History and Posh Nosh spring to mind.

Although all were made when documentaries and dramas ran for fifty minutes. Nowadays most go for a full hour, leaving little room for anything else.

Quote: chipolata @ July 31 2009, 11:29 AM BST

Although all were made when documentaries and dramas ran for fifty minutes. Nowadays most go for a full hour, leaving little room for anything else.

That's pretty much spot on, there used to be a need for ten minute comedies to fill that ten minute gap, now there is no gap so there's no need to fill it.

Sir Bernard's Stately Homes, I think that was another...

I don't recall any of these. I remember watching Look Around You but I didn't know it was only ten minutes. That was actually quite experimental - but still crap.

The second series of Look Around You was full half-hour episodes. You probably saw those.

And yeah, it was a bit shit.