Never Mind The Buzzcocks 2008 Page 8

Quote: earman2009 @ April 30 2009, 8:15 PM BST

I'm really surprised that Simon left. He hasn't been doing it that long and he was very good at it.

He's been doing it a fair amount of time now. 4 series. And series 21 & 22 had 12 episodes each. So the equivalent of 6 regular length series. I know that's nothing compared to Lamarr's 17 (!) But it's not that short.

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ May 1 2009, 10:56 AM BST

He's been doing it a fair amount of time now. 4 series. And series 21 & 22 had 12 episodes each. So the equivalent of 6 regular length series. I know that's nothing compared to Lamarr's 17 (!) But it's not that short.

I was thinking in terms of years. He's only been regular host since 2006. Btw, has his leaving been confirmed or is it just "according to sources"?

Why would he leave?? For as long as there are vacuous ex-boyband members and brain-dead poptarts in the world he's onto a winner! He was BORN for that show.

Jumping off what he sees as a sinking ship most likely.

Here's an Email he sent to subscribers of his newsletter last week (sorry I didn't post it here sooner):

Subject: Terrible news for the world.

Hello.

I am Simon Amstell. Here is some news, should you be interested in this sort of thing. I will not be hosting another series of the fun pop quiz, 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks'.

When I first took on the role of hosting 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks', my only hope was to bring joy and laughter to the world and if I was lucky, put an end to war, disease and poverty. Now that I have achieved that, I plan to concentrate on my live work.

Thank you.

Please now continue to enjoy your life as best you can.

Good evening.

Quote: sardines @ May 2 2009, 3:09 AM BST

Jumping off what he sees as a sinking ship most likely.

But they did say that when Mark left, and look what happened after that!

I'm delighted he's gone; I couldn't stand the Simon Amstell Mini Interview Show. I can only imagine, with great horror, that this will be another place for Rufus Hound to gain undeserved employment.

Buzzcocks is dead and Amstell has fled the scene of the crime.

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ May 2 2009, 10:35 AM BST

But they did say that when Mark left, and look what happened after that!

Yeah but you can bet the main reason it got any viewers at the start of the season after that was Bill Bailey.

Quote: Yatta @ May 2 2009, 9:59 AM BST

Subject: Terrible news for the world.

Hello.

I am Simon Amstell. Here is some news, should you be interested in this sort of thing. I will not be hosting another series of the fun pop quiz, 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks'.

When I first took on the role of hosting 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks', my only hope was to bring joy and laughter to the world and if I was lucky, put an end to war, disease and poverty. Now that I have achieved that, I plan to concentrate on my live work.

Thank you.

Please now continue to enjoy your life as best you can.

Good evening.

Hmmmm... He mocked Bill Bailey for his 'other projects' excuse on the first show without him in the last series.

I'll bloomin' miss him :(

As much as I loved Mr Lemarr, Simon WAS the better host....

Any idea who's replacing him??

I heard a rumour that they were going to have guest hosts for next series, and maybe make Noel Fielding a constant fixture..

ooooh and before I forget...does anyone know if any of the Buzzcocks' series are available on DVD????

You can't get them on DVD, unfortunately :( There was a video (I'm pretty sure it was called Never Rewind the Buzzcocks) but that's it.

I heard that there would be guest hosts too. I'm really unsure about Noel as a regular. I loved the shows he was in, but he takes over the show a bit too much for my liking.

Great avatar, miss_j! :)

I'm very sorry to see Simon go, although I did enjoy a good number of the guest hosts when they did it last time, notably Ricky Wilson and Huey Morgan. <3

I'm torn, because I loved the guest hosts, but mostly disliked the guest team captains. I really hope that there will be a permanent team captain if there are guests hosts (even if it is Noel!) guests for both would feel a little odd.

I'm still trying to hold judgement until I see it, after all I'm not giving up on something I've been watching since I was a kid and allowed to stay up until nine to make sure I caught it.

Oh! And thank you, I'll miss Simon.

Ahh this sucks. Amstell was a great host, very funny, witty, and great at skewering the brain dead idiots who appeared on the show.