Beatles' back catalogue

Are finally being remixed into REAL stereo and getting a proper release on 9.9.09. I am quite excited. It's a travesty that such important albums waited so long to get the treatment that other artists' back catalogues have received. But I guess it was all contractual and EMI were making a mint on hasty to-CD conversions anyway.

If it's as good as the Love remix cd I'm finally going to be able to listen to them on headphones. The original official album stereo mixes were all to cock, with fully left or right for drums bass and vocals with very little (if anything) in the centre. Mono was king in those days. The Beatles would work on the mono mixes with Martin and let others knock up the stereo.

Anyone know any more or is as excited as me? Yay!

Well having played in a Beatle's tribute band it's got my attention. But no I can't add anything to what you've said.

Quote: SlagA @ July 16 2009, 10:59 PM BST

Anyone know any more or is as excited as me? Yay!

I share your excitement. I'm also interested to see what will happen to Michael Jackson's remaining 50% share in the rights to the Beatles catalogue. Some reports say he pre-optioned it to Sony, which is now trying to work out which member of the Jackson family to purchase it from.

I saw they were coming out sometime this year. Isn't it a complete box set?

From a US website: The stereo set is listed at £199.99.

The remastered mono box set is listed for £209.99.

I'm very tempted.

They've also re-released all the Stones Cds from 1970 onwards except Exile. I may get these one at a time chronologically as I haven't got any of their albums.

I guess Exile has been sent off somewhere!

I am not interested in the Beatles new releases. I was there! I had it all on wonderful vinyl in mono, and bought it when it first came out.

That was good enough for me!

Ta!

The delay is probably due to the likely demand and having the capacity to produce the quantities needed. It's the same story to the first CD releases in 1987 a full four years after CD players came on the market.

For the record I own two of the first 10 CD single titles issued in the UK - Rage Hard and Warriors of the Wasteland, both by Frankie goes to Hollywood from 1986. Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits was first followed by Land of Confusion (I think) by Genesis. Coincidentally that used a mock 'With the Beatles' sleeve.

Alright Rage. Just us old c**ts on here? You, me Chapman and Walker?

Less of the old. (Apart from Chapman, of course.)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 17 2009, 1:14 AM BST

Alright Rage. Just us old c**ts on here? You, me Chapman and Walker?

'ppears so.. I can't sleep what with my lumbago and piles..

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 17 2009, 1:16 AM BST

Less of the old. (Apart from Chapman, of course.)

Some of you young guys on here are older than the effing hills!

At least we're not quite of the age where insomnia is caused by the fear of not waking up again.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 17 2009, 1:18 AM BST

Some of you young guys on here are older than the effing hills!

Which hills are these? There are some quite modern and hip ones actually.

I'm afraid to bend down in bookshops. I have this idea that someone will kick me up the arse.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 17 2009, 1:18 AM BST

'ppears so.. I can't sleep what with my lumbago and piles..

The piles of rejection slips you mean?

Oh the whimsicality!

Quote: SlagA @ July 16 2009, 10:59 PM BST

If it's as good as the Love remix cd .../

I really liked 'Love'!

I found myself wondering just how far the remixing had gone. This was because one of the things which sounded most improved to me was the drumming. "Wow". I thought, "I had no idea that Ringo would sound so good with careful remixing". He sounded more like Mitch Mitchell at times. The it occurred to me, this sounded so different, that it simply didn't sound like Ringo any more. I don't know if they've used sophisticated synchronisation techniques on his beats or what, but it might as well be a totally different drum track IMO. However this isn't a problem to me, because the results are so good.