Size of DVD Boxsets

I currently have the individual releases for many comedy series but would like to upgrade to the complete boxsets to create a little more shelf space. I have looked at Amazon but it does not mention the sizes of boxsets - what I don't want to do is to buy the boxset and find it takes up the same amount of room as the individual releases.

I would be grateful for any information on the size of the comedy boxsets from the following companies:

Network (Repackaged versions): The Army Game, Bless This House, Doctor on the Box, A Fine Romance, George and Mildred, Man About the House, Nearest and Dearest, On the Buses, Only When I Laugh, Please Sir, Robin's Nest

BBC/2Entertain: As Time Goes By Series 1-4, Ronnie Barker Collection (Porridge, Open All Hours, Clarence etc.), Blackadder, Dads Army Complete, Hancock's Half Hour, The Likely Lads, One Foot in the Grave, Only Fools and Horses, Steptoe and Son, Yes Minister, You Rang M'Lord

Acorn: Butterflies, The Good Life, To the Manor Born

Playback: Keeping Up Appearances

Second Sight Films: Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Thank you for any info.

Yes Minister/Prime Minister and One Foot In The Grave are just the individual releases stuck together, so they're no smaller than having all the DVDs individually. Blackadder is smaller, the version I have (the black box set), but there is a new version out that I can't vouch for.

I'm pretty sure Butterflies is just the four DVD boxes all together but not 100%.

Hope this helps

Dan

Compared to four years ago, box-sets these days are generally taking up much less shelf-space. A standard size DVD box (about 13.5cm by 19.5cm) with double-sided plastic inserts can hold 5 discs. Slightly bigger boxes can hold 9 discs. To save shelf space, I store discs from the same show in the same box, overlaying the covers, keeping the discs in double-sided plastic sleeves and putting them inside. Thus one box can hold four DVDs. Good for saving space. Bad if you feel the need to admire your collection by looking at individual glossy DVD covers.

The Network releases are vastly slimmed down. Generally about the width of 2 standard DVD cases.

Steptoe & Son, Dad's Army and The Tony Hancock Collection are also slimmed down - I would guess that each is about 3 or 4 cases wide. They're very, very nice IMO, and well worth investing in.

Alll of the others are, AFAIK, just the individual releases with a bit of cardboard.

Thanks Swerytd, Kenneth and Aaron for the replies, much appreciated.

Dad's Army = 16.5cm

Hancock = 15cm

Signed,

The Measuring Man.
(Google it)