Advice for Metropolitans Page 4

Quote: metrophage @ July 8 2009, 3:23 PM BST

I believe one should never start a sentence with "and". Will you be correcting everyones grammar? Or is this a rite of passage for the new boy?

Aw bless you. You have no idea about the can of worms you are about to open...

....you'll learn. Console

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 8 2009, 9:42 PM BST

And having to thank bus drivers when they let you off the bus

You don't do that anyway?

Admittedly not holler down half the length of a double-decker in London, but...

Aaron isn't a grammar Nazi, he's the grammar Fuhrer.

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2009, 12:15 PM BST

I found myself unusually having to catch a rush hour tube through King's Cross today and noticed the following: Massive queues for the gates to enter the station via stairs but none for the lifts. So I got a lift and caught my tube on time. And it got me thinking any other advice for visitors to the metropolis in which one lives?

Sootyj would like to add the following.

2 By law you are obliged to kick any French tourist or language student up the bum and demand they thank you for saving them in 1939/45/66 Do this 5 times and you're entitled to tea with the Queen.

4 It is illegal for any Welsh person to be in the capital with out written permission of the Queen. Call the Police if you see one.

(1) I wouldn't have tea with the Queen if she asked me.

(2) I'm in London this weekend but shall be disguised as a Brazilian maracas player so that I will blend in.

As for tips for visitors Newport. Don't. It's a shit hole

Cardiff nicer. But if you're English you must have written permission from Dylan Thomas to enter the country. And then pay for the privilege

What are you doing in this fair city?

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2009, 11:14 PM BST

What are you doing in this fair city?

It is out annual staff outing where we shall be spending the weekend standing on the left on the underground escalators and forming large groups at the bottom of them. I also intend to put some dry ice in my rucksack so that I can have the carriage to myself.

Quote: roscoff @ July 8 2009, 11:20 PM BST

It is out annual staff outing where we shall be spending the weekend standing on the left on the underground escalators and forming large groups at the bottom of them. I also intend to put some dry ice in my rucksack so that I can have the carriage to myself.

Where was my invite!

Remember you have to stick your arm out to stop tube trains.

I find my mirror fronted Brogues can cause consternation and unfair accusation on a crowded escalator. Amazing cheek.............

Quote: Gavin @ July 8 2009, 11:22 PM BST

Where was my invite!

You teach? In my school? Ah! That must be the room at the end of the corridor where all the screaming comes from. I always suspected it was you. Even when I'd never met you. Keep up the good work :)

Quote: Lord Summerisle @ July 8 2009, 11:36 PM BST

I find my mirror fronted Brogues can cause consternation and unfair accusation on a crowded escalator. Amazing cheeks.............

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2009, 11:22 PM BST

Remember you have to stick your arm out to stop tube trains.

*snigger*

It seems to me you speak of underground trains. Forsooth I was led to believe that the only machines allowed underground were coal cutters. E-gads Watson it's a veritable cacophony of wonders and delights.

:D

Quote: roscoff @ July 9 2009, 12:09 AM BST

It seems to me you speak of underground trains. Forsooth I was led to believe that the only machines allowed underground were coal cutters. E-gads Watson it's a veritable cacophony of wonders and delights.

With the coal cutters how did they avoid chopping up the pit ponys pulling them?