Peter Sellers/Pink Panther?

So I've been trying to catch up on all the great comedy films I haven't seen yet.

Last night I watched 'Dr. Strangelove'. I didn't really do anything for me, but I rather enjoyed Peter Sellers performances.

I've tried to watch the Pink Panthers before, but never really gave them any thought, I can't even remember getting past the opening credits. But I keep seeing these clips on comedy docs of it and it looks great.

My question is which is the best one? I'm confused as to which is the first one? Is there more then one? Is there others under different names? Arrghhhh!! I'm in stoopid mode tonight, forgive me.

And can you recommend any other Seller films/shows/whatever else he did?

Thanks.

Strangelove is satire - brain, not belly laughs.

The Panther movies are the complete opposite - very, very low rent comedy. They're worth watching, but no way do they represent his best work.

'Two Way Stretch' and 'Wrong Arm of the Law' are both classic Sellars and classic British movies. They're available on DVD.

does your dog bite ?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o

Peter Sellers was just born funny!

Although not the 'lead' in either movie, I absolutely love 'Murder by Death' and 'The Ladykillers'.
The latter was remade (why, oh why??), but I refuse to see it because I can't stand Tom Hanks.

The Pink Panther films are good, and there are some brilliant scenes and lines, but I think they are a little over-rated at times. Best to watch in order though (and they do get better, so don't be put off), since there are some recurring and linear storylines.

A two-second Google will tell you what order they come in.

It is a bomb!
What kind of a bomb?
The exploding kind.

Although it's not a comedy, if you want to see a really great Peter Sellers movie, get a copy of Being There.

GENTLEMEN! You can't fight in here, this is the war room!

Quote: hotzappa11 @ August 21, 2007, 11:03 AM

GENTLEMEN! You can't fight in here, this is the war room!

That was one of the only jokes I got :P

Two Way Stretch is a great film. It's like Porridge, but predates it but thirteen years.

Anything with Peter Sellers in is fantastic.

Agreed. I really like the Pink Panther films, and Dr. Strangelove is amazing.

I refuse to watch the Steve Martin remakes of the PP. Shame on Martin. The greedy swine.

The first 2 original Panther films were best. How can you not love Dreyfus and his twitch; the fights with Kato, and the scene where our hero is practising on the parallel bars and ends up flying over the bannister of the stairs and falling 3 floors down?

That scene may have been in the third or fourth film; they all blend into one film in my memory.

Alan Arkin was the Panther in one of them. I've not even bothered with it even though I really dig alot of Arkin's work (Catch 22, The In-Laws, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter).

I seem to recall the studio made a Panther film out of spare clips; may have done it posthumously...

Dr Strangelove stands the test of time and warrants periodic viewing as the years whiz by.

There are still plenty of people who wig out about fluoride in the water supply.

The scene with Sterling Hayden where Sellers complains about his gamey leg: "It's the string in my leg..."

The "prevert" scene at the Coca Cola machine...priceless.

I love peter sellars work, Dr. strangelove is awesome, some of the performances in it are outstanding in my opinion.

The best panther movie is the third one.

Steve martins film actually wasn't that bad, it kind of pays homage to the origionals.

p.s. That is not my dog!

Anyone hear remember The Trail of The Pink Panther? It's the one released after he died and featured all the cut material from Strikes Again. It's all right, bit boring in the second half.

I liked the Steve Martin remake, they're making a second and John Cleese as Dreyfuss should be good. Unfortunately there is a Bollywood actress in it as well. I just can't stand those films.

I liked the Steve Martin remake, they're making a second and John Cleese as Dreyfuss should be good. Unfortunately there is a Bollywood actress in it as well. I just can't stand those films.

The Ladykillers remake was really good as well, I would recommend that.