In Praise of... Private Godfrey

Just seen the episode where he was revealed to have been an objector in WW1, but turned out to be a braver man than anyone thought. Jus one thing to say after seeing it - the man's a dude.

Also, despite appearing as the oldest he was the last one of the main lineup to die I think?

"...may I be of any assistance?"

In real life Arnold Ridley was very brave in the trenches of WWI too. Died in 1984 outliving all of the main platoon bar Jones and Pike.

But he was marvellous. Just a look, a hesitation, a stutter sometimes was enough, followed by "oh dear..."

"I tried some of my sister Dolly's homemade elderberry wine once... I fell over.":)

I would whole heartedly agree. Playing an understated character I think is very difficult. It would be so easy to ham it up to try and beef out the part. Instead he played it just right. It was a proper job of acting that.

Quote: Balf @ June 23 2009, 10:32 PM BST

Just seen the episode where he was revealed to have been an objector in WW1, but turned out to be a braver man than anyone thought. Jus one thing to say after seeing it - the man's a dude.

Also a brilliant piece of writing me thinks.

Yes, a true sitcom legend. Branded was a very touching episode. A terrific character. He definitely deserves a thread of his own.

Quote: The Rook @ June 27 2009, 11:41 PM BST

Also, despite appearing as the oldest he was the last one of the main lineup to die I think?

"...may I be of any assistance?"

Ian Lavender is still alive

Likewise Clive Dunn.

I think he meant last of those who had died. Rather than last overall. Either way, it's an interesting observation.

Quote: Aaron @ July 1 2009, 12:26 PM BST

I think he meant last of those who had died. Rather than last overall. Either way, it's an interesting observation.

Should have been clearer then. Sorry, I'm a bit pedantic lol Laughing out loud

Quote: roscoff @ June 28 2009, 12:19 PM BST

I would whole heartedly agree. Playing an understated character I think is very difficult. It would be so easy to ham it up to try and beef out the part. Instead he played it just right. It was a proper job of acting that.

And was great in scenes with John Laurie who certinaly wasn't an understated actor