Bizarrely unreleased...

With releases of some of the most obscure and long-forgotten sitcoms being made over the past couple of years, what shows really should have been first in the queue on distributors' release lists? What really, really does need to be available to buy, but for some reason isn't?

Notables which have recently appeared are The Two Ronnies, The Morecambe & Wise Show (the most famous run of it anyway), the final releases of 'Allo 'Allo! and continuations of shows like Are You Being Served?.

There are a number of shows which we get a lot of requests about here, so I'm going to pre-empt some of them by recommending a proper release of the complete Series 1-8 of The Goodies.

But for me, perhaps the most striking hole on retail shelves is very much Sykes shaped. Network released an astoundingly excellent set of the first series a number of years ago, with full restoration being carried out on the picture and audio, and some really good extras to boot - but the other 6 series have yet to see the (commercial) light of day. The first series was poorly marketed (similarly to their Till Death Us Do Part releases), which I assume lead to the low sales which meant that it was deleted from sale in 2007, but such an excellent and important show really is deserving of a proper, dignified DVD outing.

So - nominations?

(And please no bitching about shows in this thread - let's have a proper list which distributors can take notice of!)

IMO shows which are long overdue for release are :-

Birds Of A Feather
2 Point 4 Children
Final 2-3 series of AYBS?

Oh and The Upper Hand

Considering that the first series of its spinoff series, Yus My Dear, has just been released, I think it's also quite odd that Romany Jones - of which all but the pilot exists - has not been released yet. *coughs in Network's direction*

Similarly, Terry And June's predecessor, Happy Ever After. (And on the same note, the surviving episodes of Sykes And A..., which is so similar to Sykes that some consider it the same series.)

A Very Peculiar Practice - Series 1 - needs to be rereleased . Series 2 has never been released. Neither has the special, A Very Polish Practice.

Many would argue that it is not a sitcom. But I regard it as one of the funniest TV shows of the 80s.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 22 2009, 10:33 PM BST

A Very Peculiar Practice - Series 1 - needs to be rereleased .

I have that I think.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 22 2009, 10:34 PM BST

I have that I think.

Lucky you. Series 1 was released by Network and seems to have been discontinued, as there are only four copies listed for sale on Amazon.co.uk, all via third party vendors, with the cheapest second-hand one being £69.45.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 22 2009, 10:40 PM BST

Lucky you. Series 1 was released by Network and seems to have been discontinued, as there are only four copies listed for sale on Amazon.co.uk, all via third party vendors, with the cheapest second-hand one being £69.45.

F**king hell! I could do with that!! :D

Quote: Kenneth @ June 22 2009, 10:33 PM BST

A Very Peculiar Practice - Series 1 - needs to be rereleased .

Bought that about a year ago, quite reasonable as I recall.

It is criminal that Andy Hamilton's Underworld has never been repeated or released on DVD.

I'd also like to see all of Spike Milligan's Q series and Peter Cook and Co. And I should add to the call for a proper release of The Goodies Series 1-8.

There are some sketch shows which ought to be released imo. As far as I know a lot of Lee and Herring's work is not available and also Harry Hill's shows for both Channel 4 and ITV.

The rest of Sorry! -- series 3 onwards. Come on! Get on with it!

Dan

Quote: Kenneth @ June 22 2009, 10:53 PM BST

Peter Cook and Co.

I would also like a proper copy of this.

Quote: Nick @ June 23 2009, 1:02 AM BST

Lee and Herring's work

And this.

Also 'Newman And Baddiel In Pieces', which I loved when it was first shown.

The Wonder Years.

Yes, Lee & Herring and Newman & Baddiel for me too.

I agree with much of what's been said. I'd love to see proper DVD releases of The Goodies, Lee and Herring sketch shows, Spike Millgan's Q series, Harry Hill, and Newman and Baddiel In Pieces.

I'd also like to see releases of The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Jasper Carrott's sketch shows, Smith and Jones sketch shows and a proper, full release of Not The Nine O'Clock News (not just a Best Of).

Chelmsford 123 would also be great. And Shooting Stars. And a hundred other shows I can think of off the top of my head.