Everyone loves Only Fools and Horses. Right?

Have you ever met anyone who doesn't like Only Fools and Horses!?
It's almost impossible but bizarrely, it does sometimes happen.

There was a toff at University who "didn't get it"...so I made sure to avoid her at all costs...

How can you possibly not like Del Boy and Rodders?

Quote: Griff @ May 17 2009, 12:00 PM BST

Because it's mawkish, sickly and sentimental?

It can be, but like with Friends, I overlook it because there's lots of great stuff in there.

Quote: Griff @ May 17 2009, 12:09 PM BST

Fair enough. It has made me laugh plenty of times. But I lost interest in it once it turned from a sitcom into a comedy drama.

Yeah, the problem was it went from a cheeky sitcom into 50 minute comedy dramas.

I do like the extended ones, don't get me wrong - especially 'Fatal Extraction', but yeah I know what you mean.

Quote: Seefacts @ May 17 2009, 12:12 PM BST

Yeah, the problem was it went from a cheeky sitcom into 50 minute comedy dramas.

I totally agree there, that's the point where I lost interest in it, having watched it from the first episode.

At the beginning Del Boy was a loveable rogue, but as time went on he did things to make him less of a sympathetic character - I hated the episode where Rodney met a posh girl and Del Boy got drunk and turned into a real bastard, abusing Rodney and becoming someone you wouldn't want to know.

Up to and including 'The Jolly Boys' Outing', OFAH is just brilliant, one of the best Britcoms ever. And that covers a good 40 or so episodes.

Unfortunately, I think anyone who has a problem with it may be thinking of what came after: the 90s stuff is often very good, but with definite signs of fatigue, and the 00s trilogy should never have been made (IMO).

So, a number of episodes too far, ad nauseam repeats and (sorry) the not great spin-off 'The Green Green Grass' have all contributed to this "Only Fools isn't as great as it's cracked up to be" philosophy which in my experience is fairly widespread.

I can think of at least 4 people who really don't like it, and one who isn't a huge fan, just in the 'real world'.

I have a few episodes on video but don't make a point of watching them regularly, and my friend can't stand the show. In my opinion, John Sullivan's finest hour was Citizen Smith

Quote: Bad dog @ May 17 2009, 12:47 PM BST

I totally agree there, that's the point where I lost interest in it, having watched it from the first episode.

At the beginning Del Boy was a loveable rogue, but as time went on he did things to make him less of a sympathetic character - I hated the episode where Rodney met a posh girl and Del Boy got drunk and turned into a real bastard, abusing Rodney and becoming someone you wouldn't want to know.

Oh yes, the 1986 special, A Royal Flush. It was written by John Sullivan, but Del acted so out of character it was hard to believe he had written it.

Only Fools and Horses is great until the two women are introduced. There's still some decent moments after that but the formula was altered a bit too much.

Quote: Aaron @ May 17 2009, 1:15 PM BST

I can think of at least 4 people who really don't like it, and one who isn't a huge fan, just in the 'real world'.

Ha, who are they?

I was never that fond of it, although I remember watching it when I was little so I must have liked it then. Haven't seen it for ages.

I think there are people out there who say they don't like it just to be different.

What people generally hate is The Green Green Grass.

New theme tune to GGG:

I'm getting tired of this series
All the actors are crap
I want Fools and Horses
Landing straight in my lap

Del Boy would have a fit
If he had to watch this shit

This show is brown brown crap
Both Johns have lost their touch
Their brain cells have gone and died
It's all brown brown crap
I don't like it much
We all hate it on the Sitcom Guide

While on the topic of OFAH, I was shocked to discover the actress who played Denzil's wife Corrinne died young of an overdose. Eva Mottley was her name, also saw her in a 1984 Bergerac where her husband, a boxer, was played by Tony Osoba who was in Porridge.

I knew she died (1985) but I didn't realise she was married to McLaren.

What's interesting was Sullivan managed to keep the character alive for another seven years or so, before it was suggested Denzil had been divorced.

She wasnt married to him in real life, just in an episode of Bergerac. Think it's called Come Out Fighting from series 3.

Quote: Dave @ May 17 2009, 5:39 PM BST

We all hate it on the Sitcom Guide

No we don't.

I just overdosed on it. I used to love it.