Biggest career downfall Page 5

Quote: chipolata @ May 8 2009, 10:04 AM BST

I was referring more to the desperately mundane Saxondale

I liked Saxondale too. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2009, 10:59 AM BST

I liked Saxondale too. :)

That's two of us then! We are the audience.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 8 2009, 11:41 AM BST

That's two of us then! We are the audience.

Saxondale was good, just no where near as good as previous work. Similar to That Mitchell & Webb Look, not a touch on Peep Show but still watchable.

Hardly a fair comparison, Darren. A sitcom versus a sketch show, not even written (primarily) by the same people? Compare the constant of the two, Mitchell & Webb's performances, and IMO they're equal. But again, that's sketch vs sitcom so still not exactly fair.

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ May 8 2009, 1:15 PM BST

Saxondale was good, just no where near as good as previous work. Similar to That Mitchell & Webb Look, not a touch on Peep Show but still watchable.

I think Coogan's work has always been of varying quality. For every Partridge and Calf, there's been a Tony Ferrino or a Dr Terrible. Saxondale's such a great character, I think, stinking of reality.

Coogan has never been a great writer I don't think. So the standard of work that he produces depends a lot on his colaborators. With his live stuff he has obviously been working with the wrong people. Saxondale is good though imo.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 8 2009, 2:03 PM BST

Dr Terrible.

I liked that too!

He was very good in I Am Not An Animal. In fact I think that was one of his best moments.

I love Saxondale. I think it's brilliantly written. I love listening to Tommy going into detail about his Roadie days.

To kind of bring this thread back round full circle, here's a comment by Martin Clunes on John Cleese's original rant:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2009/05/13/8879/john_cleese_isnt_funny

He has a point, like.

And I like that he doesn't use any of his own work as examples of quality recent comedy, thereby deflecting the instant retort that Reggie Perrin is shit.