As Soon As Plausible - Comedy Podcast

Hi, I've recently signed up to this forum and I would like to get some of your views and opinions on my comedy podcast called As Soon As Plausible, I've been writing, performing and producing this podcast for about 2 months now and it has gained around 150 listeners (not bad), the later episodes have vastly improved from the early ones and this can be heard if you were to listen to them all back to back. My shows have got very good feedback from various people on MySpace, other aspiring comedians and podcasters, as well as Trevor Lock who appeared in comedy shows like This Morning With Richard Not Judy and currently is part of The Russell Brand Show on Radio 2, I would still like more ideas for improvements though as I always like to improve.

To give you an idea of what my podcasts consist of, they are usually around 20 minutes long and feature comedy sketches (some regular sketches and some one offs), I have a satirical look at the weeks news and the show usually has a topic for example 'Religion', 'Anger', 'Tragedy' have been previous topics and in between sketches I talk about them in an ironic and humourous way.

Anyway enough talk, to listen to the podcasts you can go to www.myspace.com/assoonasplausible or www.assoonasplausible.podomatic.com or you can search for As Soon As Plausible in iTunes and subscribe there for FREE. Episode 5 (The Halloween Special) and Episode 9 are my particular favourites, some of the sketches are reoccuring sketches so might not make a lot of sense on first listen.

I am looking forward to your feedback and I will also be checking out other peoples work on this forum.

Is This Morning with Richard and Judy a comedy show? I've never got up early enough to find out.

I'll be having a listen to your podcasts as soon as my computer is fixed, i'm not writing this on my computer.
I'm interested in the fact that you theme your comedy as i am trying something similar with my sitcom which i'm finishing. it has six episodes and the theme is usually quite obvious e.g. exploitation, tories being nice etc.
Also do you do stand up as well because it sounds like you could perform the bits inbetween as stand up comedy.

anyway as little chris would say i'll be checkin it out

Quote: ajp29 @ December 14, 2006, 12:49 AM

Is This Morning with Richard and Judy a comedy show? I've never got up early enough to find out.

This Morning with Richard NOT Judy was a Lee & Herring sketch/satire show back in '98/'99. More info - http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/t/thismorningwithr_66603440.shtml

Hi Martin, I listened to a few minutes of the awards special and about half of episode 9. The whole thing was surprisingly professional in it's approach and execution, which was nice to see/hear. Although I did unfortunately find the humour a little weak. Like you say though, perhaps one needs to listen to more to get the running gags. Personally, I felt uncomfortable with the 'Bring back serial killers' sketch in episode 9 in light of the current headlines.

Yeah that seems in bad taste now...but I can't see into the future I'm not magic I didnt know it was going to happen...the joke was suppose to be 'JLC and his shows are so bad..they might as well be about serial killers' and then the current news came out 2 weeks later and yeah now that sketch seems in very bad taste. I can see why you might find some of the humour a little weak, one being that yeah some of it is a little weak like I said I'm still trying to improve and two like you said some are running gags and a lot of the show is ironic (although I try not to take that too seriously) so the style of humour becomes more evident when you've listened to a few more shows. Thanks for checking it out though buddy :)

To AJP29 - This Morning With Richard NOT Judy was a comedy show by Lee & Herring back in the late 90's.

Thanks everyone for checking out, I appreciate it very much :)

I disagree that its in bad taste, everythings fair game, and its not as though your taking the micky about this current case. Attack anything and everything, and if some people are get ruffled or even a bit upset about what youve done, then as far as I can see you must be doing something right!! Just look at Chris Morris.

You have just as much right to offend, than others do to be offended.

As the poster above said, everything is fair game. No subject should be taboo. Just take a look around the stand up circuit during the london bombings to find that out.

By way of example, Oliver Stone made the following comment at last night's comedy awards. “I haven’t been here for years. Jack the Ripper’s back — it’s good to see nothing changes.”

Predictably, the tabloids are in a rage at this 'shocking jibe' and personally I didn't find it funny, but as the previous poster said everything is fair game in the comedy world.

I didn't pick up on that, but it's made me smile. People - particularly the tabloids - are way too over-sensitive.

Now, anyone read Metro?

Yeah but Oliver Stones joke was shit, and said purely for the shock value, it wasn't in context and had no point to anything...and I would say it's pretty insensitive to say something like that while the murders are still taking place and the killer is still on the loose. ALthough the tabloids are hypocritical f**kers, acting all over sensitive when really there loving all of this, so they can make up nicknames for the murderer...such as 'Ripper 2' in order to dramatise it and sell more papers...I'm doing a sketch about that next week on my Christmas Special Podcast.

My sketch was done weeks before those murders came to light, so I had no idea and my joke was not about purely shocking people it was done to show how 'bad' Justin Lee Collins is. I hate comedians who use tragic events like 9/11 for example just to shock people, whereas a joke about 9/11 in context and that has a message behind it (for example how Stewart Lee approaches it) can be hilarious.