Genius Page 4

Quote: swerytd @ April 26 2009, 11:53 AM BST

Not here yet either http://www.bbc.co.uk/genius/
but will be when it finally gets on.

:D That makes sense. :)

I've just checked the red button and it's still not there, but the Vegas one has gone now at least.

Last week's red button stuff is working now.

The guy who invented the human keyboard choir on this week's episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RAB96S7BAw

Gah! Watched it tonight. Stuart Lee proving he can be unfunny and painfully 'right on' in multiple formats.

At one point I thought that Dave Gorman and Stuart Lee together, on the same stage, would produce a level of earnestness able to outdo every Student Union bar in the UK simulataneously.

Stewart was quite fun, I thought. :)

He's fat, nearly 50 and still wears Doc Martens.... Why doesn't he stop trying to make a point and start trying to make people laugh?

He does make a lot of people laugh!

Just not you. I don't see why that's hard for people to process.
I accepted this a long time ago about the comedians I don't find funny.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 2 2009, 12:30 AM BST

Why doesn't he stop trying to make a point and start trying to make people laugh?

Angry

The whole Food Van back and forth was hilarious, especially when he accused the inventor of being a crypto-facist. One of the most enjoyable episodes of Genius I've ever watched and I've only watched two!

If you think Stewart Lee is unfunny, could you imagine the show with just Dave Gorman? Brrr, it gives me chills.

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2009, 12:44 AM BST

He does make a lot of people laugh!

Just not you. I don't see why that's hard for people to process.
I accepted this a long time ago about the comedians I don't find funny.

Without raking the whole "he's funny!" "No he isn't" thing (which admittedly is what I am now actually doing...), there are plenty of 'funny' people out there I find unfunny and they don't annoy me at all. I can live with it. Honestly. Usually...

I think the thing that bugs me about him is that he never really smiles. Even when asked to smile by Gormless all he could do was smirk as if actual 'smiling' is beneath him because he's a serious comedian with serious points to make. Its as if everything is beneath him in some way; that whole 'cleverer than thou' air that he has. And Genius panders to that precisely: "Lets serve up idiot members of the public with stupid ideas and you can show them just how much cleverer you are..".

For example, all he really did, in contrast to past 'Judges', was think of reasons why an idea was bad. Other Judges took the contestant's ideas and ran with them, adding or stretching them for 'comic' effect. Lee just rattled off a list of 'comic' reasons why they were shit. The swimming lane woman was able to answer all of his criticisms and he just looked deflated when he ran out of criticism and said "You've really thought about this haven't you?". Then binned it anyway.

BUT... back to the show... I thought the piano choir was interesting but they'd obviously only rehearsed the one piece of music.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 2 2009, 12:27 AM BST

Gah! Watched it tonight. Stuart Lee proving he can be unfunny and painfully 'right on' in multiple formats.

:D

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 2 2009, 2:12 AM BST

If you think Stewart Lee is unfunny, could you imagine the show with just Dave Gorman? Brrr, it gives me chills.

I like Gorman, he's a very pleasant chap :)

Obviously Stewart Lee has done something (or rather not done something) to make some people think he's a joyless cocky arsehole. But I genuinely don't understand what.

He's always come across to me like a fun, self deprecating, thoroughly nice chap, so I reeeeeally don't get it.
I don't want to play the old 'I've been watching him for years' card, but could that be it? Is this cocky persona that I can't see, a recent thing?

Answers on a postcard please. :)

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2009, 4:26 PM BST

I don't want to play the old 'I've been watching him for years' card, but could that be it? Is this cocky persona that I can't see, a recent thing?

Answers on a postcard please. :)

Dear zooo,
I don't know what it is about him, he's just isn't very funny (to me) and his holier than thou attitude really ticks me off.

I never been a fan of his (or Herring), but hopefully now his show has finished I won't have to see him on TV for another 10 years. Whistling nnocently

Having a lovely time, weather is great.
Nil