The Omid Djalili Show - Series 1 Page 8

Thanks for the edit. I did it on my laptop in kind of a rush.

Quote: jacparov @ January 26 2008, 11:06 PM BST

I've tried and tried but I just can't find this bloke funny? Everytime I see him he does the same thing (i.e. The 'ethnic' dance and I'm an Iranian in Britain, woe is me bit.) Tell us some jokes will ya!

I agree totally with you, he really isn't that funny and the more I watch him the more annoying he becomes.

He just needs to move away from the 'I'm from Iran' material he's been dining out on for many years.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 21 2009, 5:27 PM BST

He just needs to move away from the 'I'm from Iran' material he's been dining out on for many years.

It'd be quite funny if it was revealed he wasn't from Iran at all.

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2009, 5:30 PM BST

It'd be quite funny if it was revealed he wasn't from Iran at all.

LOL Laughing out loud

That's the funniest Omid Djalili related joke I've heard and he didn't even say it.

Yeah, he's just a mechanic from Chertsey.

I am just watching Omid's standup comedy and he's just funny so his popularity is rising with me. It's looking more likely that I will watch his new series on the TV.

Edited by Aaron.

Some great standup, some not so funny. Same for the sketches really. Kudos for trying a big musical number but it was executed badly and felt dated - almost like it was straight out of Not The Nine O Clock News.

The show was a pleasant enough diversion though and I'll be watching to see how the series (and his rampant body hair) progresses.

Please use the series 2 thread.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/12644

I was watching his show "Live Agenda" on Channel 4 just now and after waiting for him to move on to more general and less ethnic material I just switched off. I'm not hyper sensitive or politically correct, but jokes about Muslims and Iranians gets boring and too predictable after a while. I remember watching clips on YouTube of a tour in America called "the axis of evil comedy" featuring Iranian and Middle Eastern comics, and it was pretty much the same. I think they just take advantage of how easy it is to come up with stuff about their own ethnicity to cover up their lack of material. Reminds me of Def Comedy Jam in the 90s with the whole black guy/white guy routines.

Like Jo Brand, Omid Djalili is a fine stand-up but not so suited to the sketch format. His Montreal 'Just For Laughs' stint is hilarious.