What's the deal with Amazon?

Can anyone explain this.

When I first started looking for the Frasier box set for the girlfriend, Amazon were doing it for £120. It then went up to £150 for a bit, then it went down to £85 (when I bought it) and now it's back up to £150.

It's acting like a share price.

Any ideas?

Amazon periodically take the mickey. Some of the traders on there have a 500% mark up.

Quote: The Rook @ April 22 2009, 10:17 PM BST

Can anyone explain this.

When I first started looking for the Frasier box set for the girlfriend, Amazon were doing it for £120. It then went up to £150 for a bit, then it went down to £85 (when I bought it) and now it's back up to £150.

It's acting like a share price.

Any ideas?

Happens on every site. And in every high-street store. Prices fluctuate according to availability, demand, publicity (a show would be cheaper if it's not currently broadcasting for example), and special offers.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2009, 10:23 PM BST

Happens on every site. And in every high-street store. Prices fluctuate according to availability, demand, publicity (a show would be cheaper if it's not currently broadcasting for example), and special offers.

A manager of a DVD retail chain in Australia explained the psychology of limited special offers to me thus: "If we have something on special [ie - at a low price] all the time, customers might always think 'oh, I can buy that later,' but because our specials last for only a few weeks, customers will want to buy the discounted items before the price goes back up again."

So when you see something dirt cheap, buy it, for next week it may become an unaffordable extravagance.

Prezunctly. And it works. Bastards.

Yea just look at what us poor North Americans have to pay for a freaking Who season. It's highway robbery I tell's'ya!

I read a big article in the Guardian on the wine industry; who always seem to have 50% off etc. It's all planned in advance with deals between producers and supermarkets to raise and lower prices over a year to stimulate interest.

I'm convinced Amazon track what you look at, so if you keep going to look at an item every couple of days, the price goes up as it's getting more popular!

Conspiracy Theorist Dan

Quote: Curt @ April 23 2009, 5:19 AM BST

Yea just look at what us poor North Americans have to pay for a freaking Who season. It's highway robbery I tell's'ya!

I asked my friendly DVD chain store manager why Dr Who DVDs (not including 'new Who') are consistently so expensive. He denied they were, pointing out that a K9 2-disc special had been discounted, as well as The 5 Doctors for the first two weeks of its release. He said all of the other Dr Who titles were high-priced because the BBC charges more for them (apparently due to the numerous extra features) and because there is strong consistent demand (nostalgic idiot geek losers are happy to fork out ridiculously high amounts of money). Not me.

Curt, how much is, say, a Tom Baker Dr Who DVD in the US?

I love Amazon and their 'If you like this, you might also like...' suggestions. Way back in the day I bought a Gay Dad album, and since then I get sent helpful gay related product recommendations.

The book Grow a Gay Best Friend was probably my favourite.

Anyone know any tricks to qualify for the free £5 delivery, when an item costs £4.98? I'll end up paying £1.22 in delivery otherwise! I know that's not much, but 2p off free delivery, is a bit gay.

EDIT: Never mind, I payed 86p from Marketplace. :)

Catterick: Series 1, by the way.

I've bought stuff for £4.95 with free delivery. Maybe they've tightened it to exactly a fiver. My advice would be to find something else you want that's uber cheap and get it now rather than later, in order to qualify for the free.

Quote: Curt @ April 23 2009, 5:19 AM BST

Have you seen the prices WE have to pay? Stop complaining, bitch!

Quote: Splodge @ April 23 2009, 11:05 AM BST

The book Grow a Gay Best Friend was probably my favourite.

Intrigued, I Googled it - and it's not a book, it's one of those new plastic/rubber toys that expands 600% if you put it in a bucket of water for 4 days. I got an expanding lizard for Christmas. Ahem.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 23 2009, 11:05 AM BST

I asked my friendly DVD chain store manager why Dr Who DVDs (not including 'new Who') are consistently so expensive. He denied they were, pointing out that a K9 2-disc special had been discounted, as well as The 5 Doctors for the first two weeks of its release. He said all of the other Dr Who titles were high-priced because the BBC charges more for them (apparently due to the numerous extra features) and because there is strong consistent demand (nostalgic idiot geek losers are happy to fork out ridiculously high amounts of money). Not me.

Curt, how much is, say, a Tom Baker Dr Who DVD in the US?

I doggedly hunted down all the classic Who to get the lot. Every week I went into HMV to see if they had reduced the £20 The Mind Robber down. Then eventually it was half price after months of waiting. I've never paid full price for any of them.