Yes Minister Page 3

Watched up to episode four, 'Big Brother', and it seems to be getting better with each episode. Really rather good. Paul Eddington is putting in a superb comic performance as Jim Hacker.

I suppose this isn't saying anything a lot of you don't already know!

No, but glad to hear it anyway! :D

Quote: zooo @ October 8 2007, 9:33 PM GMT

Anything with Paul Eddington makes me happy inside.

That's a good enough excuse for getting all of Catweazle (great show) on DVD. Paul Eddington appears in one episode as a children's magician. His autobiography So Far So Good is also worth getting and contains a good story about his appreciation of mosques.

Sounds bizarre!

But I will look into it. :)

Quote: Kenneth @ March 28 2009, 5:59 PM BST

His autobiography So Far So Good is also worth getting and contains a good story about his appreciation of mosques.

To be fair, he wrote that before Muslims and everything they believe in became scary.

Quote: chipolata @ March 30 2009, 10:21 AM BST

To be fair, he wrote that before Muslims and everything they believe in became scary.

To be fair, I was attempting sarcasm (and I FAILed) - Eddington writes about how the sound of the early morning muezzin (call to prayer) from a nearby mosque caused him to wake up and leap several feet in the air as if struck by a cattle prod (or something like that; I can't check the exact text, having lent my copy of the book to someone seven years ago and I'm still awaiting its return). Any Westerner who has ever visited or moved to a Muslim country and stayed near a mosque will relate to the passage.

Scary Muslim beliefs? Try reading the Koran - loads of similarities to the Old Testament and the Torah. Despite most beliefs of most religions being fanciful, the vast majority of the world's Muslims are peace loving. Don't be scared of Muslims, except for suicide bombers and those who deny rights to women.

EDIT: Getting back on topic, lest this thread morph into an awful discussion about Islam, Paul Eddington was very humble, as illustrated by this passage about his desired epitaph: A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy -- most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me.

Just bought series two and three for 99p each on DVD! God bless Amazon new and used! :)

Series 1 got the full Stott thumbs-up then?

Quote: Aaron @ April 5 2009, 5:12 PM BST

Series 1 got the full Stott thumbs-up then?

I enjoyed it very much, though I'm glad that Weasel/Wisel/whatever he was called character gets dropped by the end, as the bloke playing him was awful. Eddington is marvellous.

Correct, correct, and correct. :)

I still haven't seen much of this. I must NOT download some episodes.

I bought the whole lot recently on a bizarre whim despite not liking any of the episodes I saw up til then.

First episode was bad but I persevered, by the end of the first series I adored it. Definitely one of the best sitcoms ever.
The laugh track seemed to laugh more at weaker jokes and completely miss out on brilliant ones, I think that's what made it difficult for me to like at first.

I love love love Yes, Minister. I can add a bit form an American POV; about the universal appeal to the show. Our goverments might function a bit differently but they really have the same goals and purposes. While we might not have a Civil Service; the two party system and lobby groups make up much the same role.

It's the juxtaposition of the 'idealistic government' that is there to lead us, save us and have all the answers... that all governments desperately want to sell to 'the people'. Vs. the more 'realistic government' that is there to provide a stable bed for businesses to profit and failing that; the 'right' people are cared for.

The writers also did a wonderful job making sure a character, usually our man Jim Hacker, to be just naive or out of the loop enough so everything gets explained in layman's terms. No one's left out of the loop.

I'd have to agree YM is better then YPM... I think the the scripts seemed to favor Hacker wins and they tried to work Bernard in more... both noble goals; but perhaps not wise. Also Hacker wears way too much make up with wispy pompadour hair in some bits; maybe they were trying to goof on Ronald Regan?

Paul Eddington had (and died from) skin cancer. I've not noticed any make up, but if he was wearing 'too much' then that could have something to do with it.

Quote: sardines @ April 5 2009, 9:57 PM BST

The laugh track seemed to laugh more at weaker jokes and completely miss out on brilliant ones, I think that's what made it difficult for me to like at first.

Studio audience, not laugh-track, I think.