Ever Decreasing Circles Page 3

Just finished the first series. I think it was a slightly shakey series, but definetly got better as the series got on and it has a lot of potential for me to go on into the second series and become a classic sitcom.

Just watched the first two episodes in the second series and I can automatically see a massive improvement in the second series to the first. The first two episodes were really good, especially the second one, when Paul joins Martin's Cricket Team. I really laughed out loud when Hilda accidently caught Martin's shot.
I also tend to side with Martin. I think he's a really well-meaning character and is understantably threatend by Paul's very much taking over behaviour.

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ March 11 2009, 11:16 AM GMT

I'm quite proud of the fact that I absolutely loved EDC when it was originally shown. Let's just say it wasn't exactly highly regarded amongst teenage boys, at least in my experience.

Glad to see it's acknowledged as a minor classic now!

I loved this when it was on.
But you know what it's like, 3 or 4 channels only 1 colour TV, you had to watch what your parents did anyway.

I loved the little touches like when he used to turn the phone receiver around.
And I remember laughing at Howard & Hilda having a really boring conversation:
"What's your favourite Jam ?"
Followed not long after by -"What's your second favourite Jam"
I don't know why it was funny, but it really made me laugh.

Finished series 2 now and it was much better than the first. I can now appreciate what a good comedy it is.

Series two has one of the absolute classic episodes, I think, where Ann is laid up in hospital and Martin tries to cope by himself!

Quote: Anorak @ March 8 2009, 9:01 PM GMT

Ricky Gervais cites 'Ever Decreasing Circles' as his favourite sitcom of all time.

That's interesting, I always thought the relationship between David Brent and Neil Godwin bore a fair old resemblance to the one between Martin Bryce and Paul Ryman.

Anyway, EDC has to be one of the most beautifully crafted sitcoms of all time. The characterisation of Martin (Briers) is absolutely perfect in that it manages to get the balance of Martin's neuroses just right so he is irritating but still likable. You really feel for the frustration as he struggles to achieve something only for Paul to achieve far more with far less effort.

And hasn't Paul always got a mate somewhere that can sort things out? Whereas Martin . . well, is Martin. :)

I chuckle ever time Paul says "Hello Martin" because Richard Briers seems to visually tense up! Great comedy, and I found the 1989 special "Moving On" very poignant. Briers is brilliant because you couldn't get much further away from Tom Good to Martin Bryce.

Quote: The Comedy Guy @ July 28 2011, 3:35 PM BST

I chuckle ever time Paul says "Hello Martin" because Richard Briers seems to visually tense up! Great comedy, and I found the 1989 special "Moving On" very poignant. Briers is brilliant because you couldn't get much further away from Tom Good to Martin Bryce.

Yes, Tom and Martin are very different, yet as I heard Briers say once, what they have in common is they are both obsessives. Curiously, Briers' If You See God, Tell Him character Godfrey Spry was also an obsessive - due to a brain injury. And perhaps his The Other One character was also an obsessive (?) as he was a top salesman and determined to be friends with the other guy in the show. I thought Briers was great in Mr Bean too.

Bought the box set as everyone kept mentioning it on the "underated sitcoms" thread.

Watched most of series 1 now and it hasn't had me in fits of laughter yet. It has a nice cosy feel to it but only given me a few small chuckles so far. I like the premise and the characterisation though, enough promise to keep with it. Hoping series 2 and 3 are a big improvement as everyone seems to suggest!

If anyone out there is still unsure about this first class sitcom I notice that Gold are repeating some episodes early afternoons this week.

Seems like a short run this week. Nothing on the EPG for next Monday.

Every episode is classic, I have the box set but still watching repeats which are now on Gold, great show.

One of my favourites. Does anyone else see a slight -- possibly very slight -- resemblance between Martin and Sheldon of the current U.S. sitcom Big Bang Theory? (Or is it just a resemblance between all good-hearted know-it-alls?)

Ha! I have certainly never thought of that comparison before, but there is a bit of a similarity!

Quote: Rose2010 @ April 24 2012, 10:12 PM BST

One of my favourites. Does anyone else see a slight -- possibly very slight -- resemblance between Martin and Sheldon of the current U.S. sitcom Big Bang Theory? (Or is it just a resemblance between all good-hearted know-it-alls?)

No, Sheldon's a class one sociopath and tosser!