Comedy courses / workshops Page 2

Quote: David Bussell @ February 18 2009, 12:57 PM GMT

Anyone done the stand up course at City Lit?

Yes, I think some people have. I don't know them though.

I did the Laughing Horse one and found it useful. I think you get out of them what you put it (apart from the cash of course, that's no refundable).

Quote: David Bussell @ February 18 2009, 12:57 PM GMT

Anyone done the stand up course at City Lit?

If the course you are referring to is by Chris Head, then that comes highly recommended from previous students. Amongst his achievements, he's managed to make Kelvin McKenzie an ok stand-up (due to be seen on UKTV at some point).

Chris is one of the main contributors on our new writers/stand-up area due to launch soon.

It would be very helpful to me if everyone could list here which stand-up / sitcom courses you've been on / heard about. It'll help me make sure our new courses directory (launching soon) is comprehensive. Cheers.

I've recently signed up to do the Jill Edwards course at Komedia in Brighton this September (www.jill-edwards.co.uk). I've done a few gigs already, so I'm not an absolute beginner as such, but I'm hoping it'll help me properly find my voice and tighten up my writing a bit. It should be good. Anybody else been to this one?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 18 2009, 3:01 PM GMT

Yes, I think some people have. I don't know them though.

Thank you, that's extremely helpful.

Quote: Mark @ February 19 2009, 12:21 AM GMT

If the course you are referring to is by Chris Head, then that comes highly recommended from previous students. Amongst his achievements, he's managed to make Kelvin McKenzie an ok stand-up (due to be seen on UKTV at some point).

Chris is one of the main contributors on our new writers/stand-up area due to launch soon.

I'm not sure who's teaching, but thanks for the information.

As a student of Chris Head's Stand Up course I can totally reccomend it.
A comprehensive 10 week introduction to the world of stand up comedy. Writing skills, performing skills, comedy techniques, discovering your comedy 'persona'... it's got the lot... and culminates in a live show performance with real people... laughing.

It's a great course, loads of fun, and Chris is the perfect guy to take you through it.

I'd do it again.

(is that alright Chris?)

I would second everything that Tony has just said. I'm on the same course - Chris Head's - and it is a very well thought out, relaxed, supportive, informative introduction to comedy. I am an absolute beginner and have been surprised at the great vibe among the participants - half of them are already brilliant stand-ups after just 5 weeks training. Tony will be a star. Go and see him.

Yeah, I've also done the Chris Head course and having talked to people from several other stand-up courses, it's certainly the best going.

Highly, highly recommended. Chris is an excellent teacher and he knows his stuff.

I was on the Michael Knighton course mentioned earlier, with Mark Dolan and Jeff. Both very funny chaps, though I remember Mark D drinking a lot of cold soup straight from a carton. I didn't go too much further with it myself. I had a bit about a wee baby man with a trombone that my wife still asks me about under the heading "what the hell were you thinking?!"

Just got this from Treasonshow:

As this month I am delegating directing of the show to Carol and Daniel I can focus on other aspects of the show.
One of the areas that has been in need of attention is writers workshops. I have been threatening to do these for some time but have had no time as I'm constantly either preparing a show or doing one. But now it's been sorted and I can confiorm that there are now going to happen.

So, for those of you who are interested I am doing a four week sketch comedy writing workshop at the Actors Centre in London on Monday evenings from the 9th March. The whole course is at a discount rate of £50 for the whole thing and I can arrange free Actors Centre membership to attend the course.

I am taking the bookings as of now but there are only a limited number of spaces available.
So if you wish to join the workshops (Where basically I train people to write for The Treason Show as well as generic sketch comedy) then e-mail me ASAP. Applicants will be given places on a first come-first served basis.

In the meantime, thanks again for your contributions to the Feb show it was a great end to the run at The Old Town Hall in Hemel, first rate show and one of the best we've done there.

Best regards

Mark Brailsford

Mark Brailsford
Producer/Director
Treason Productions
115 Western Road
Brighton
BN1 2AB

Tel 01273 207407 www.treasonshow.co.uk
mark@treasonshow.co.uk

Sitcom writing workshop

At the time of writing our writers have been seen by Avalon, Endemol, Big Bear, So TV, Kudos, Rough Cut TV, and BBC Radio 4 producers.

After the first round two out of the four writers were approached by production companies. Last week another writer was contacted after the Trials. A top literary agent has asked to speak to two further writers. It's a unique showcase for sitcom writing talent.

Trouble is, most people have absolutely no idea how to write for us.

We can help.

Our next workshop is on March 14th at a pub in Fulham. Places are limited but still available. The cost is just £40 (£45 with lunch). If you're interested in writing sitcom you should be speaking to us. Contact info@every1sacritic.com for more details.

Im on a stand up course now with the comedy school. It is very good!

I am currently doing the Sitcom Writing Course with Tony Kirwood via long distance (ie email). So far so good.

Def.

Tony's good. I've done a couple of courses with him (face-to-face) and I knew nothing about comedy-writing before then.

<waits for inevitable joke...>

Dan

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ March 3 2009, 11:39 AM GMT

Sitcom writing workshop

At the time of writing our writers have been seen by Avalon, Endemol, Big Bear, So TV, Kudos, Rough Cut TV, and BBC Radio 4 producers.

After the first round two out of the four writers were approached by production companies. Last week another writer was contacted after the Trials. A top literary agent has asked to speak to two further writers. It's a unique showcase for sitcom writing talent.

Trouble is, most people have absolutely no idea how to write for us.

We can help.

Our next workshop is on March 14th at a pub in Fulham. Places are limited but still available. The cost is just £40 (£45 with lunch). If you're interested in writing sitcom you should be speaking to us. Contact info@every1sacritic.com for more details.

I've put myself down for this one. Anyone else going? There may be a couple of spaces still.

Quote: Michael Cotter @ February 28 2009, 7:01 PM GMT

I was on the Michael Knighton course mentioned earlier, with Mark Dolan and Jeff. Both very funny chaps, though I remember Mark D drinking a lot of cold soup straight from a carton. I didn't go too much further with it myself. I had a bit about a wee baby man with a trombone that my wife still asks me about under the heading "what the hell were you thinking?!"

Did you do something about step aerobics & noisy kids ?
You must have been on the same course as I was, with Pam Ford & Dave Russell as well.