Help with a scene I'm writing....

I'm writing a scene where a character is describing something that happened to him that day, I then want to flashback to earlier and actually show what happened so as he is describing what happened it then fades into the action.

My question is, is the flashback a separate scene?

Yes.

Ordinarily, yeah. That said, it's screenwriting, so just about anything goes. Write the f**ker in Comic Sans for all I care, I'm off down the boozer.

I'd just put fade out, do the scene then, fade in

David B speaks good advice - the boozers are open and it is poets day.

So does Michael Jacob, speaks good advice I mean rather than hurrying down the boozer, although..., anyway he advices against flashback, so if I were you I would try and re-work the scene so that it is a comic retelling rather than a flashback.

Its a short film rather than sitcom and flashbacks work well within the idea in my opinion. The whole piece is kind of based around flashbacks.

Lord - look at the BBC writersroom example of screenplay format (written by Matt Carless). There's an example a flash back.

Here it is - http://www.scribd.com/doc/7391292/Matt-Carless-Screenplay-Format

What a lovely afternoon. I'm off to the boozer too.

I love boozer's on a Friday afternoon, you can always tell the people who have been in there all week though. Usually old blokes nursing a cheap pint of ale and eying up some young sort by the bar.

My favourite days of year are those, like today, where the anticipation of summer (spring) is in the air. And outside drinking. Guzzle guzzle.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ February 27 2009, 4:17 PM GMT

I love boozer's on a Friday afternoon, you can always tell the people who have been in there all week though. Usually old blokes nursing a cheap pint of ale and eying up some young sort by the bar.

A man should have a hobby.

I think Micheal Jacob just hated my idea of use of flashback. It's a BBC and me thing :)

Just walked past pubs with outdoor drinkers and couldn't join in :(. So I went to the offy and bought some champagne instead and can sit in the garden with the guinea pigs and the dog.

Sound like a delightful alternative! I'm off to see the MAgic Numbers play a tiny pub gig. Which is great. If you like the Magic Numbers. Which I do.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ February 27 2009, 5:12 PM GMT

Sound like a delightful alternative! I'm off to see the MAgic Numbers play a tiny pub gig. Which is great. If you like the Magic Numbers. Which I do.

*insert fattist jokes here*

Hope they're still good!

I shall report back. I know, I can't wait for my report either.

Just a suggestion Melders old chap, why not write it in the past and have "flash-forwards"?

Same story, different perspective may just give it the edge.