Big Train Page 2

Oh god, the staring competition was one of the only sketches I didn't like. Was funny at first, but they had two or three every bloody episode. Got old in the end.

The too many cooks sketch is fantastic!

Quote: David H @ April 1, 2007, 12:39 PM

My first impression of Big Train when I saw it all those years ago was that the staring competition was fabulous but the rest of it was average. It had good ideas but they just went on too long.

Having seen some clips on Youtube, I feel the same way.

Have to disagree with you, this show was pure genius; less so perhaps in the second series, but like Ive said previously, its so far ahead of the dross weve had passing themselves off as sketch shows in recent times its untrue! Full of ideas and invention with wonderfully surreal bones that appeal to me greatly. Swinging? Man Stroke Woman? Blunder? Spoons? Oh, just sod off will you . . .

Quote: David H @ April 1, 2007, 12:39 PM

My first impression of Big Train when I saw it all those years ago was that the staring competition was fabulous but the rest of it was average. It had good ideas but they just went on too long.

They're like 20-40 second sketches dragged out for minutes.

I think that's what adds to the humour of it. They are so ridiculous that the longer they go on, the more intense the stupidity of it is. It's one of those 'Oh my God I can't believe it's still happening' type things. I prefer it to shorter sketches with blatant punchlines.

Also, apart from the odd one such as the staring competitions, there aren't many repeated sketches which keeps it fresh and funny unlike programmes such as Little Britain and Catherine Tate who just repeat the same catchphrases and ideas over and over.

I think Big Train is one of the best sketch shows of the last few years, but i agree that occasionally they stretched an idea a bit thin. It seems to occur more in the 1st series, like the Ming the Merciless at home sketch, or the Hall and Oates one. I found the second series to be funnier.

Loved the staring contests though :)

I just acquired the first season and will watch it again to refresh my memory but watching clips on you tube like the Tom Henderson one had me in stitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TZxFQaXkc

Starts tonight.

ENTERTAINMENT: Big Train
On: UKTV G2 (Sky 111)
Date: Monday 23rd July 2007
Time: 21:40 to 22:20

The very first episode of the award-winning and winningly bizarre sketch show which launched the career of Hollywood star Simon Pegg before his big hit with Shaun of the Dead. Also starring Amelia Bullmore, Julia Davis, Kevin Eldon and Mark Heap.

I loved Big Train and this has to be one of my favourite sketches. There's so many to choose from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50f8XsVua0A

woohoo!

Quote: Gavin @ April 3, 2007, 1:20 PM

I just acquired the first season and will watch it again to refresh my memory but watching clips on you tube like the Tom Henderson one had me in stitches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TZxFQaXkc

That's very clever editing.

Quote: Mark @ July 23, 2007, 10:26 PM

That's very clever editing.

Actually BG encompassed a great many sketch forms; the repetition, the slight, teh sudden reveal, consequence. And all of them it did with great results. I agree the staring thing got old, though. I think it was more a comment on the commentators than it was on the staring.

Loved the Hypnotist, The Pervert, The Dusseldorf proposal, Opinion Of Your Own, Dating and The Tin Man. Excellent. if you want to see Sketch Comedy in Britain done to perfection, this is the thing to watch.

The Artist Formely known as prince hunting jockeys.

It'll be 3 days till he hunts again.

I love this show. Agree that maybe some of the jokes go on slightly too long (although strangely not the Man Speaking French, or the wanking one) But the Ming did, it was funny but did go on, and can you remember that one with the woman whos going out with the temporary traffic light with the Fench subtitles?

I love it and it's on every night, oh joy :)

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ July 24, 2007, 8:48 AM

The Artist Formely known as prince hunting jockeys.

It'll be 3 days till he hunts again.

that's my favourite sketch from my favourite sketch show.

Just the way Pegg says wanker it just makes me laugh so hard - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TZxFQaXkc... "no way that guys a wanker!" Classic.

oh and it'll be 2 days till he hunts again not 3... wow I even make comedy nerdy.

When I first watched it I was disappointed. I guess I was expecting more from the creative minds behind Father Ted. However, in hindsight, and in comparison with the terrible sketch shows BBC3 insists on inflicting upon us, it strikes me as brilliant. The waking in the office sketch is a classic. And I loved the Staring Championships in the first series.