Blackadder Page 3

Laughing out loud Yes!

I think the 2nd series was the best character for him, with the 4th being a close second place. Still, it's all good, baby. Great re-watch-ability (if that's a word...)

Third wins a close margin over the fourth ;)

Second was fantastic, no doubt.

Have you seen the Blackadder pilot on YouTube? Well worth a look if you're in to Blackadder. Edmund's character is much more like he is in the second series and there's a different guy playing Baldrick!!!

This might sound weird, but I think David Mitchell and Robert Webb would be fantastic at doing a Blackadder-style historical sitcom, or -gasp- Blackadder itself. You never know, it might give the series the freshness the Millennium Dome special sorely lacked. It's obvious that Mitchell is a history nut and their historical sketches (especially the nazis/"are we the baddies?" one) are fantastic.

On that subject, and slightly off topic, if they ever do another Hitch-hikers film, Mitchell would surely be a cert for Arthur Dent.

Hopefully they never will do another HH film.

Anyway...

Quote: glaikit @ December 16 2008, 1:04 PM GMT

This might sound weird, but I think David Mitchell and Robert Webb would be fantastic at doing a Blackadder-style historical sitcom, or -gasp- Blackadder itself. You never know, it might give the series the freshness the Millennium Dome special sorely lacked. It's obvious that Mitchell is a history nut and their historical sketches (especially the nazis/"are we the baddies?" one) are fantastic.

I'd like a Mitchell/Webb historical sitcom. But a Blackadder with them in would surely be a mistake.

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2008, 1:22 PM GMT

I'd like a Mitchell/Webb historical sitcom. But a Blackadder with them in would surely be a mistake.

Yeah, when I think about it, you're probably right. Even if Elton and Curtis brought Blackadder back now it'd probably be awful.

Quote: glaikit @ December 16 2008, 1:37 PM GMT

Yeah, when I think about it, you're probably right. Even if Elton and Curtis brought Blackadder back now it'd probably be awful.

Can Ben Elton ever be trusted to do anything ever again after We Will Rock You?

Mitchell and Webb doing a Blackadder take would be perfect. They do loads of historical stuff in their sketch shows, and are very into the high minded comedy (not that Blackadder was always that high minded)... Mitchell as a Blackadder-type character is pretty well perfect...Webb plays a great dunderhead, though perhaps a bit too big and good looking to be Baldrick... more of a George.

My dream would have been for Mitchell and Webb to write it, but have Atkinson and Robinson back, with roles for some of the modern comedy actors of M & W's generation as well as those for Fry, Laurie, Mayall and so forth. Kind of like a mix of new and old(er).

And no, sadly, I don't think Ben Elton can be trusted any more. That atrocious thing he did with Alexa Chung on ITV almost made me cry.

It's the best. Though Fawlty and Seinfeld were great enough to perhaps call it even. I love Fawlty too - only weak one was "The Anniversary" - they definitely should've had another series or two.

However, Adder is my all-time #1, I love every single episode and there's more of 'em. For me series 2 & 3 are the pinnacle of the show, particularly the 3rd: Edmund reaching his lowest ebb, being just a lowly servant causing him to be at his most bitter and spiteful best.

Hugh Laurie as Prince Regent is sheer genius. "Come out you walloping, trolloping sauce bottle". The Highwayman one my fave episodes. A lot of people I know like 4 as the best (nothing up with that of course), but Hugh and Edmund as a 'superior butler' clinch it for me. The 1st has it's critics and the humour was darker than the others, but it's still good nonetheless.

The third series was the best for me, narrowly beating the fourth. The dictionary episode with Dr Johnson was superb. "I shall return...interphrastically".

I like 2nd and 3rd equally, then 4th third and 1st last.

I do like a good confusing sentence...

It's 2 and 4 coming out tops for me.