Still Game Page 2

It's alright. I'd liked to have been able to see it from series 1 episode 1 though. There's no character establishment for us non-Scots. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford the DVDs.

I absolutely love 'Still Game'. The writing is very funny and also the stories are believable (if a little absurd!).

What makes it even better is hearing my friends attempting a scottish accent after watching it, and failing miserably :P

Shame you haven't seen it from the off Aaron.

But I've seen series 1-5 box set heavily discounted. It's the best £20 odd quid you're liable to spend this year.

The character development has been superb and if you're a fan (and I am) you feel that they are all part of your family.

Testament to the quality of the writing methinks. You actually care about these characters.

Well done Messrs. Kiernan and Hemphill

Quote: buzzy @ July 20, 2007, 8:15 PM

I totally agree with you,I look forward to it when it comes on & get cheesed off if I miss it.For example I did not see the first episode of this series , so I have been scanning the tv mag to see when the repeat was on.I thought as if Hyperdrive has been repeated during the week maybe Still Game would be,I mean 2 pints is constantly repeated on BBC3 maybe they may be a chance.Of course it was no where to be seen,I also looked at BBC Scotland to no avail.BBC stop this phone rigging & concentrate on showing some decent repeats that we all want to see!

Buzzy,

Still Game get a BBC1 (ONE) repeat on Sunday @ 10.20 on BBC1 Scotland only.

all BBC station are broadcast Free to air on satilite, so if you have a satilite dish or a Sky set up you sould be able to get it.

Agree with you all Still Game is Great.

PS welcome to Buzzy and all other new members

"Get oot ma shop, ya junkie bastards!"

(insert picture of Navid, here)

Just over halfway through the series, thought I'd bump this thread to see how it is being received by the comedy cognosceti.

Personally, I'm liking it (but no more than that). We're seeing a similar phenomenon to other successful long-running comedies, insofar as the central characters are well established and explored by now, and the use of some gimmick or other (eg guest stars, tenuous mis-understandings, some freak occurence) is becoming more prevalent. Not that that's necessarily A Bad Thing, I just see the evolution from the Chewin The Fat offshoot into a full blown saga. For me, series three is always a bit of a watershed in that regard (think how Scrubs changed at S3).

ep 3 - 'Lights Out' was, IMO, the best yet. I think Isa is one of the most under-used characters, and I'm really pleased to see them using her more now. The actress playing her (Jane McCarry) has the Scottish old lady facial expressions and mannerisms down to a tee. OTOH, I think they have tried too hard with Navid to make him more than a shopkeeper, and it's not really working for me, much as I like the character and Sanjeev Kohli.

Any thoughts?

Ah, really points Aljado - I hadn't noticed the guest stars, new characters etc popping up but now you mention it there is a fair bit of that going on this series.

That said, I still think Still Game has loads to offer - the simple situations the show puts the characters though (e.g. no power, trying to get a seat in a park, attempting to get a free pizza) are simple and effective. That's the way all sitcoms should be.

So overall, I think, a very strong series.

Victor's line at the end was an absolute classic.

There were lots of rumours of a minor character being killed off. Thank god that was wrong becuase characters like Winston, Tam, Isa, Navid and Boabby are too good to kill off.

Its certainly one of the best sitcoms in the last couple of years. It's a shame they didn't start showing it on BBC England until series 4 though.....

This sitcom is fantastic (and fantastically underrated). It gets better & better. Annoyed at the beeb for not advertising the new series as 'new' though. Thought they were repeats, now missed first episode. Angry

Oh, is it a new series? I assumed they were repeats.

It's criminally underrated in England, but it's very popular in Scotland.

Quote: Winterlight @ July 18 2008, 10:02 PM BST

Oh, is it a new series? I assumed they were repeats.

It's criminally underrated in England, but it's very popular in Scotland.

Nah, my mistake. It's series two. I just haven't seen them for ages. :) I'd like to see more of the little songs they did in the early episodes & during 'Chewin' the Fat'.

Well, they are sort of 'new' if you live in England. Until now, series two had only been shown in Scotland (and on DVD).

Funny stuff.

I can only agree with what has been said so far. With the caveat that the last episode I saw was not IMO up to previous episodes. Just a glitch I hope.

Quote: roscoff @ July 22 2008, 8:27 PM BST

I can only agree with what has been said so far. With the caveat that the last episode I saw was not IMO up to previous episodes. Just a glitch I hope.

Still Game is awesome, but the recent New Year episode did disappoint a little. Are they making a seventh series?