Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 23

Quote: David Chapman @ February 8 2009, 1:37 AM GMT

Come on - it's American so not really comedy.

Rolling eyes

Quote: Dave @ February 7 2009, 4:36 PM GMT

I tried watching it as a lot of people on here like it - but I have to say I switched off when Tim Vine's sister came in and said, "What the f**k is going on?" Absolutely shocking and completely unnecessary! The writers clearly put that in to try and raise a shock-laugh in the absence of any real jokes. I switched off immediately and won't be watching it again.

I can see where you're coming from. I think the problem with the swearing in NGO is that it doesn't feel natural. I don't have a problem with swearing in sitcoms if it fits in with the characters but it just feels awkward in NGO like the line is being read off a page.

Still a good episode though
:)

When Lucy said "Whats the f**k's going on?" it gave Lee the opportunity to introduce Lucy who suffers with tourettes.

So it was not so unnecessary!

Re Dave.

Brilliant episode of NGO, although I enjoyed the first just as much.

I think Sally Bretton is a lot better in this series (although I still miss Kate Teary )

I'm glad Daisy has been given a bigger role in this series too.

As for Lee, Tim and Miranda, they were sublime as usual. :D

Loved it. Laughing out loud

So far I am impressed. I like nothing more on a Friday night than to sit down in front of the telly and have a real good laugh. I don't think you can ever be disappointed with NGO - Nice simple premise, easy to pick up, likable characters and a lot of laughs.

It's definitely not ground breaking or cutting edge but it always delivers the goods IMO. Also there's not a lot of comedy that I feel comfortable enough to sit down and watch with my parents but this is one exception (well episode 1 was a bit risqué) along with Outnumbered and Lead Balloon.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 7 2009, 1:33 AM GMT

Neither, really, is Seinfeld. It was dubbed the show about nothing, and they even used that themselves, but it obviously isn't really true. Plus it's the greatest sitcom of all time (series 3/4 onwards).

So true, Seinfeld was dubbed a "show about nothing" but anyone who has seen enough of it knows it really is a "show about EVERYTHING", all the little every day things in life that other shows don't explore. Also the fact that the characters don't really develop adds to the show's brilliance because it is very true to life.

And someone said avoid the early series? I don't agree with that, yeah the first couple of series aren't anywhere near as good as series four onwards, but it is a show still finding its feet and it still has plenty of laughs.

Not to totally derail this thread though. Loving having NGO back, first episode was average but this Friday's was great, fantastically farcical and some very Seinfeld-esque plotting which worked very nicely. Had me crying with laughter when Lee was smashing the mugs in the kitchen to help direct Tim's answers. :D

I absolutely loved series one and still think the first two episodes are still the best so far. I was a little disappointed with series two, although very funny, I just didn't feel it was in the same league as series one. Series three so far has NGO back to its best. I've loved both episodes and for me they have been laugh out loud in places - something I find is very rare in sitcoms.
I know NGO is not everyone's cup of tea - I think you have to appreciate that type of humour. Looking forward to episode 3!!

Stan

Loved this weeks show - great timing and a very funny script. I just dig the whole feel of this show... it's so easy to watch, very accessible. I've followed since series 1 episode 1, and I'm so glad it has a 3rd series!

I loved the first two series of NGO (most episodes were hilarious with only one or two average ones), and overall it has been one of the sharpest, most likeable and well-written new British sitcoms in the last few years.

So far, two episodes in to series 3 and I have been a bit disappointed. The 'bath' episode (ep 1) was poor, a stupid plot, with the script relying on crudeness instead of the razor-sharp wit of other episodes. It seemed totally out of place among previous episodes of series 1 and 2.

Episode 2 was much funnier in parts, with some good lines, but I can't help thinking that Lee Mack and his co-writers can do a lot better than the idea of pretending to be blind, parylysed, etc. I'm not one to get offended easily, I just think that this episode seemed to be lazy and very old-fashioned. And to be honest, blindness isn't that funny really. Before anyone accuses me of being too sensitive, I should point out that I love Extras and The Office, both of which have featured elements of 'disability', and done so hilariously.

I see that for this week's episode, according to 'Radio Times', the synopsis reads: 'Lee and Tim invite a lesbian couple round for dinner and Lucy discovers a side to her she never knew existed.' I might be wrong, but are the NGO writers running out of ideas?

Quote: Martin Holmes @ February 8 2009, 8:55 PM GMT

Had me crying with laughter when Lee was smashing the mugs in the kitchen to help direct Tim's answers. :D

I loved that bit too!
"I was 10"
SMASH
"9"
SMASH
"8"
SILENCE
"just got to get more cups!"

There was such a good rhythm to this episode.

Really enjoyed this week's episode. I watched it twice because the wife missed it on Friday and it stood up to repeated viewing.

My favourite line was very early on when Lee and Tim are driving along.

Lee: (Look at my contorted face). That'll be the G-force.
Tim: That'll be the inbreeding!

The premise was ludicrous of course but beautifully delivered. Lots and lots of funny gags. I particularly liked that Lee had lied about the Tourettes which tied in nicely when Lucy came in and said "What the f**k is going on". Also, on a similar note, Lee has to pretend Daisy has memory issues, which is utterly believable because he asks her to help clear up the broken cups and she replies "Have we lost Princess Diana?".

Not Going Out is a terrific show, one of the best of the decade. It's a fantastic blend of farce and quick-fire comedy.

Loved the second episode. One of the best ever episodes. Two good plots the intertwined very well with the usually high gag rate. Great stuff. This show works best when Tim Vine is on screen. Look forward to episode three.

Quote: Comedy Bloke @ February 9 2009, 12:32 PM GMT

Before anyone accuses me of being too sensitive, I should point out that I love 'Extras' and 'The Office,' both of which have featured elements of 'disability,' and done so hilariously.

NGO used disability in a much better way than The Office and especially Extras has ever done. NGO it was actually part of the plot and it was played in a very comedy of errors way, never was about being 'awkward' around disabled people.

Extras is just a bunch of "Ooh there is a person with downs syndrome, I feel uncomfortable now, I don't want to say anything offensive"..."Oh look someone in a wheelchair, quick act natural"..."Oh damn! A black person is coming".

Quote: Danny K @ February 7 2009, 12:59 AM GMT

Look how Scrubs (which I also like) takes the polar opposite approach (and yet still succeeds), and always has the lead character moralising on the day's events, 'learning' and becoming a better person for it. Almost straying into Box chocs/you-never-know-what-you're-gonna-get homilies.

Good Lord. That makes Scrubs unwatchable! All those morals and so forth. It's physically painful to see.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 7 2009, 11:40 AM GMT

Why? Can you see into the future? You seem to have a very pessimistic, hoping for the worst view on this Seefacts!

That way, one can be pleasantly surprised, rather than gravely disappointed. :)

Quote: Dave @ February 7 2009, 4:36 PM GMT

I tried watching it as a lot of people on here like it - but I have to say I switched off when Tim Vine's sister came in and said, "What the f**k is going on?" Absolutely shocking and completely unnecessary! The writers clearly put that in to try and raise a shock-laugh in the absence of any real jokes. I switched off immediately and won't be watching it again.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ February 7 2009, 6:49 PM GMT

It does slightly annoy me when people state something "isn't funny". Who can say what is and isn't funny.

Every instance of such a statement should be read with a big fat "(to me)" attached on the end. It's just a given.

Apart from when talking about Spaced. ;)

Anyway.

I watched episode 2 on the BBC Two repeat earlier this evening. Absolutely mindbendingly hilarious. I was laughing out loud - very loud - all of the way through. With episodes like this, Not Going Out could very well be the sitcom of the decade. I really cannot fault it.