The Green Green Grass - Series 4 Page 3

That might have happened last week, but another gem never the less.

"I heard they are sleeping with the fishes"

"Best go down to the Chip shop then"

Brilliant(!)

Oh, that's one line I loled at. :)

How though?

The little sense that line actually makes reveals an awful joke.

I do like the idea of Sullivan using Del Boy and Rodney possibly appearing at some point to keep this crap going.

If David Jason came out and said he would never ever play Del Boy again this show would be cancelled quicker than you could say Lovely Jubbly.

Joke: Awful in your opinion, funny in mine.

Well I suspect that is the reason why The Green Green Grass is onto it's 4th series whilst shows like Darkplace get cancelled.

That some people find it funny whilst others don't? Yes, I'm going to say 100% certainly that that is why some shows are recommissioned. :)

Quote: Spagett @ January 16 2009, 10:33 AM GMT

Well I suspect that is the reason why The Green Green Grass is onto it's 4th series whilst shows like Darkplace get cancelled.

Shows like Darkplace are special and innovative (as well as gut bustingly funny) but there is obviously a huge market for stuff that just washes over you.

I'm sure there's the odd amusing line in this show, but I couldn't make it past the first couple of episodes when it first started, and I love Only Fools.

Last night's episode was the first time I'd seen it since the first one of the second series. I was waiting for Hustle to start and just checked to see if GGG was still the worst programme ever made (Life of Riley notwithstanding). Putting both shows on sequentially is an easy way to see if either of them are funny. There was an hour of so called "comedy" there and I didn't laugh once. The Green Green Grass is terrible. Sue Holderness has an awful voice (apart from her real trying-to-be-posh voice - which is worse!) and John Challis isn't a strong enough comedic actor to carry a show on his own. Seeing John Sullivan's credit gives us an update on his decreasingly woeful material too. I don't think the Fools prequel will ever be made - for one thing, the Sullivan quote they used in the article is six years old. I don't see how we're supposed to like Del and Rodney's dad after years of them saying how bad a person he was, plus their mum's supposedly "slutty" reputation. Can a comedy have it's main character (Reg) constantly getting drunk and violent? David Jason has said he thinks himself too old to be Del now, and surely Lyndhurst has enough money from After You've Gone to fund the petrol for his private plane and his scuba-diving gear. Now Sullivan is known to be one of the worst writers in British comedy (who saw that coming ten years ago?), he should take his battered credibility and hide in a cave with Bin Laden. They're both guilty as hell.

I still loves this show. Last night's episode was very pleasant indeed. The bit with the Driscolls and the guns was a bit silly, as was Tyler suddenly becoming intelligent. Still enjoyable though.

I'd like to see more character development, because it's all a bit static but otherwise, it works quite well.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ January 16 2009, 4:18 PM GMT

I still loves this show. Last nights episode was very pleasant indeed. The bit with the Driscolls and the guns was a bit silly, as was Tyler suddenly becoming intelligent. Still enjoyable though.

I'd like to see more character development, because it's all a bit static but otherwise, it works quite well.

Character development? Boycie and Marlene have been around 20 years!

I hate the dumb country types / staff as they are just characitures of bumpkins which makes it almost cartoon-like

Quote: Tuumble @ January 16 2009, 4:30 PM GMT

I hate the dumb country types / staff as they are just characitures of bumpkins which makes it almost cartoon-like

They are funny

As an individual episode I thought this was quite funny, I think a lot of people are too harsh on John Sullivan, who would wipe the floor with all of us with his writing talent. I would however would like this to be the last series and John Sullivan to go away and write something brand new.

The trouble with The Green Green Grass is that the episodes seem to have a disposal throwaway nature to them - as soon as an episode's over it's immediately blotted from my memory because most of the plots are wafer thin and very predictable - they just all blend in to one.

Well, personally, I like 'throwaway' shows. Relaxing, unchallenging programmes that I can just watch. My idea of what a sitcom really should be.

Anyone see tonight's episode? Actually written by John Sullivan and it seemed to make a big difference, by far the best one of the series so far I thought.