Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 4

We went up late due to the queue at the door and getting people in. Think we came down around 9ish. It's a bit of a blur. Simon and I missed the last train home by a whisker and got in at 2am. Art, suffer etc.

Job, get sacked, die of cold at deserted station etc...

OK fair point. I will make my arrangements accordingly!

Quote: Griff @ February 5 2009, 11:52 AM GMT

PS bad luck to Renegade Carpark. Hope you had fun anyway.

Have to say I'm surprised; all three of us thought his was great. The night itself was very enjoyable, though we arrived at the last minute and so I found myself having to peer around a pillar for most of the show!

Pity yours wasn't on in the same show Griff.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 5 2009, 1:26 PM GMT

Have to say I'm surprised; all three of us thought his was great. The night itself was very enjoyable, though we arrived at the last minute and so I found myself having to peer around a pillar for most of the show!

Pity yours wasn't on in the same show Griff.

Never mind Matthew - that'll be ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO ATTEND (he said pointedly...)

Sounds like a fantastic show, congrats to all especially Declan and Simon. I've posted alerts for the next two shows on facebook, they get sent to members of the Sitcom Trials Facebook group. If you want to add photos or comments there you can, and you can use it to invite people to the show yourself. Though by the sound of it, being sold out a week in advance already, no such boost will be needed.

Hello!

Sorry I haven't posted for ages. The reason being I've been working like a donkey lately, but have recently been released from my massive workload.

Yes - I am, in fact, George W Bush. Sorry about the economic meltdown. My bad.

Anyway - glad to hear that the Trials are off to a flying start, congratulations to the winners and in fact, congratulations to all participants anyway - I'm sure you'll find it a rewarding experience no matter which way the votes go.

I think my entry is up next week. Unfortunately I can't be there as I'll be too busy planning the invasion of Iran, but I'm really excited about the show and desperately hope it makes it to the next round so I can see it.

I've said this before, but since someone asked the question, I'll repeat it. Being part of the sitcom trials last year lead to some very exciting developments all of which eventually fizzled to nothing (curse you BBC). But on the plus side I now have a pool of contacts interested in performing my work which is what it's all about, really.

So, no matter what the outcome, enjoy yourselves, make the most of it and thanks to Simon, Declan and Kev.

Can I just add a big thank you to Simon and Declan for organising the competition and for staging the peformances, it was a really good night and I've gained immense knowledge on how a sitcom should be written and structured.

A massively big thank you must go out to Ben, Matthew and David from this forum who made the effort to come and see the shows. They are terrifically nice guys and were very complimentary about my script.

Despite not making it through to the next round, I did get approached by someone 'in the biz' and they've asked me to send them a half hour version of 'Desperate Men', so it was an incredibly rewarding night for me in many ways.

Good luck to Griff and Symon, I hope your scripts make it through to the finals.

P.s. Declan, it's James O'Shea, not John O'Shea - I would never play for Man Utd as I ams a Gooner.

Congrats anyway James! One step further than I got! :)

Good luck to everyone else involved.

Dan

James O'Shea? John O'Shea? Do you think I care right now???? It's your slave name anyway, throw it off and be liberated.

Thanks for your thanks. We had a blast last night and are very much looking forward to the coming weeks. Please stay in touch.

And Endemol and So! enjoyed it so much they want to come again. You did well, thanks for your phoning round and PR-ing and I'm so pleased you enjoyed the show.

And Desperate Men gave us some great laughs, so fingers crossed that good things will happen for it in the future.

Cheers, Dec

Quote: Symon @ February 5 2009, 2:00 PM GMT

Hello!

I think my entry is up next week. Unfortunately I can't be there as I'll be too busy planning the invasion of Iran, but I'm really excited about the show and desperately hope it makes it to the next round so I can see it.

I've said this before, but since someone asked the question, I'll repeat it. Being part of the sitcom trials last year lead to some very exciting developments all of which eventually fizzled to nothing (curse you BBC). But on the plus side I now have a pool of contacts interested in performing my work which is what it's all about, really.

So, no matter what the outcome, enjoy yourselves, make the most of it and thanks to Simon, Declan and Kev.

So. Good news and bad news for me. Sounds like there's some excellent potential for developing contacts on the plus side. On the downside my sitcom is up against last years winner. Yay :(

Ah well, I have enjoyed it so far and I'm sure that will continue.

Good luck to all.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 5 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

Can I just add a big thank you to Simon and Declan for organising the competition and for staging the peformances, it was a really good night and I've gained immense knowledge on how a sitcom should be written and structured.

A massively big thank you must go out to Ben, Matthew and David from this forum who made the effort to come and see the shows. They are terrifically nice guys and were very complimentary about my script.

Despite not making it through to the next round, I did get approached by someone 'in the biz' and they've asked me to send them a half hour version of 'Desperate Men', so it was an incredibly rewarding night for me in many ways.

Good luck to Griff and Symon, I hope your scripts make it through to the finals.

P.s. Declan, it's James O'Shea, not John O'Shea - I would never play for Man Utd as I ams a Gooner.

I know someone who went to last night's shpw and thought yours was very good too.

All of the shows were excellent in their different ways. And very well acted and staged! The MC was t'rrific as well!

Was any of this filmed? Will there be some YouTube videos?

I filmed my sitcoms last year, but decided not to put them up on YouTube.

Filmed theatre performances always come across flat, even though they went well on the night. I know Kev has a number of film clips of previous Trials, and I can understand why he puts them online, but to me they don't really do the sitcoms justice.

While I remember, I've been meaning to say on here how impressed I am that Simon and Declan have managed to get industry judges onboard this year, rather than sticking with audience vote. That must have taken an immense amount of organising, but it's really well worth it in terms of making the Trials a more credible and worthwhile event. Well done guys.

Cheers, Griff. The great thing is that they all wanted to do it again, and so did the guys from So! and Endemol, so word will hopefully spread, too. We've got some more BBC radio producers interested in judging as well.