What is the appeal of Phill Jupitus?

This is not to sling mud at the man, but could anyone here please explain to me what's the big deal about Phill Jupitus? I regularly see and hear him hogging a number of comedy panel shows, but rarely ever any other output worth mentioning. Not being a native Briton, I can't really judge if he ever WAS funny.

Endlessly dragging out half-arsed jokes until I start yelling at the screen, "Yes, I've got it now, get on with it already" seems to be his only quality as a comedian.

Am I missing something?

I don't usually mind him. He's good on Buzzcocks. But last week on QI he kept on and on talking over Stephen Fry, whilst not actually saying anything funny, it was quite boorish and it was getting right on my wick!

I honestly don't know what the appeal is. He's one of those 'funny' people who are on TV a lot, but are never actually all that funny. Like Rufus Hound. I don't mind Jupitus, but when you actually stop to think about it, you realise in ten or fifteen years of being on TV, he's probably said about four amusing things. On Buzzcocks his main contribution seems to be to laugh loudly.

Do you know, I've never thought about it before, but you're right.

I don't mind him. But I don't particularly like him. I can't think of anything stand-out about him. But I probably wouldn't even download it if he released a stand-up DVD, let alone pay for it.

Hm. Never thought about it before. Inteeeeresting. Can we think of any other comedians like that?

Along the same line does anyone understand the appeal of The Graham Norton Show?
Is it popular over there? Because it plays every night on BBC Canada.
I don't find him funny at all, only annoying and insulting.

I find Graham likeable.

Quote: Curt @ January 28 2009, 8:56 PM GMT

Along the same line does anyone understand the appeal of The Graham Norton Show?

Homophobe!

Quote: Moonstone @ January 28 2009, 8:57 PM GMT

Homophobe!

>_< Damn...should have seen that one coming.

Quote: Curt @ January 28 2009, 9:01 PM GMT

>_< Damn...should have seen that one coming.

I'm not going to say a word!

I saw him live once and he's very funny but also quite bitter, but in a resentful manner.

I don't find Jupitus funny at all.

Ah I quite like old Jupitus. He does a screamingly-funny Eddie Izzard http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4qstQAlktaM

Quote: Curt @ January 28 2009, 8:56 PM GMT

Well you're probably getting the old Channel 4 (?) shows which I never watched, but I do rather enjoy the present BBC Two series'.

Quote: Aaron @ January 28 2009, 8:51 PM GMT

But I probably wouldn't even download it if he released a stand-up DVD, let alone pay for it.

I just thought the same thing. I checked a few days ago, and apparently there is a DVD of a live show he did at the Apollo some nine years ago. On the cover he is aptly named "Star of 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks'". Pretty much says it all, doesn't it.

Quote: Aaron @ January 28 2009, 8:51 PM GMT

Can we think of any other comedians like that?

Graham Norton springs to mind. Not at all because he is camp. He just doesn't strike me as funny.

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 28 2009, 9:08 PM GMT

He does a screamingly-funny Eddie Izzard http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4qstQAlktaM

I'll just watch Eddie thanks. ;)