Consequences of Sachsgate for Writers

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't know exactly where to place it.

I'm a freelance journalist writing an article for the Scotsman on whether the Sachsgate affair has led to broadcast comedy being subject to greater restrictions, editorial oversight and press scrutiny.

I'd be interested to hear whether any of the writers on this forum have found work they've produced subject to greater controls since then or can point me towards anyone who has. This can be done anonymously if need be.

I'm assuming you can PM from this thread.

Quote: Jay Richardson @ January 22 2009, 11:27 AM GMT

I'm assuming you can PM from this thread.

You can. :)

Welcome Jay, I'm sure someone will have an opinion.

Quote: Jay Richardson @ January 22 2009, 11:27 AM GMT

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't know exactly where to place it.

Don't worry, it will be moved if it isn't. :)

I've never been lucky enough to get anything on broadcast media!

But the whole topic has been great for stage sketch writing.

Hasn't it already had an affect? Haven't Corden and Horne had to remove some stuff from their upcoming sketch show because it wasn't deemed tasteful? Personally, I think it'll just make the BBC even more lilly-livered and spineless.

I write mainly for the stage which is thankfully, as profane and foul a pit as ever.
That said I also write for a mobile phone company and they've tightened up alot since an embarassing incident.

From chatting to a Radio 4 script editor, it sounds like they are even less likely to get away with swearing.

How will Jonathon Ross survive? Won't the Daily Mail be watching his every utterance like a hawk, and the minute he says anything even mildly off-colour they'll be whipping up an frenzy of outrage in an attempt to get him sacked.

What's wrong with starting a boycott of the Daily Mail?
Appeal directly to the paper boys to stick it down a drain or wipe their arse on it?
We could demonstrate outside newsagents like animal rights protestors and throw bile at people buying it.

Oh and murder Richard Littlejohn

Quote: sootyj @ January 22 2009, 12:31 PM GMT

What's wrong with starting a boycott of the Daily Mail?

Wouldn't work? It's too good at what it does, and one of the few newspapers to actually increase sales in recent years. If you want to bring down the Daily Mail you have to do it from within. Of course, by the time anybody's been there any length of time you start to see the world from their point of view.

Many thanks for your thoughts so far.

Don't suppose anyone has a link to that Corden/Horne story? I'll look into it anyway.

Quote: chipolata @ January 22 2009, 12:36 PM GMT

Wouldn't work? It's too good at what it does, and one of the few newspapers to actually increase sales in recent years. If you want to bring down the Daily Mail you have to do it from within. Of course, by the time any body's been there any length of time you start to see the world from their point of view.

That's what they said about communism,
"all evil needs to thrive is for men of good conscience to stand idly by"

Quote: Griff @ January 22 2009, 12:41 PM GMT

Also pretty much what they said about Lab Rats.

Laughing out loud

Was labrats so bad it could be classed as evil?
I saw a documentary on Rumanian TV that suggested reruns of Dallas and The Onedin Line staved off revoloution for some years.

But not The Onedin Line?

Any show that can dismiss an entire season as a dream has balls.