Mock The Week - 2007 & 2008

What's your opinion on the show? Personally, I think it's bloody awful. Radio 4 tripe like this should be confined to the airwaves, where at least I don't have to see these "comedians'" smug, ugly faces after they've performed yet another hilarious impression of the Queen or shit observation. Dara O' Brian is also a poor man's poor man's Steven Fry/ Angus Deayton who seems to do nothing but read clumsy political commentary off a teleprompter and laugh at the panels' jokes. AGH >_<

I think it's hilarious... plenty of laughs to be had. Harmless & fun... just what comedy on TV should be.

All subjective of course.

of course

I'm not upset it is on the air (better than having Graham Norton on).

Mock the Week normally contains some great moments (mostly from Frankie Boyle I've noticed) however there are some things that irritate me - mostly to do with the organisation.

Dara's buzzer in the last round for example - they need to take that off him. It's just annoying and people ignore it anyway - they know when they're done.

They also need to remove all pretenses that it is a quiz for points. At least with HIGNFY the scoring is somewhat sensible however Dara doesn't seem to base his scoring on anything and, worse still, there are rounds where only one team takes part and thus wins by default (e.g. 'say what they really mean')

It always strikes me as a standard issue irreverent panel game, neither brilliant or awful. There are usually some nice moments, but not enough to make me want to tune in regularly.

'fraid I agree with the OP - it's a bit self satisfied and smug for me. I kind of think I'm not target audience for this (are they not aiming for the sons/daughters of people who like HIGNFY?) so it's no skin off my nose.

Quote: Aljado @ July 13, 2007, 10:34 AM

'fraid I agree with the OP - it's a bit self satisfied and smug for me. I kind of think I'm not target audience for this (are they not aiming for the sons/daughters of people who like HIGNFY?) so it's no skin off my nose.

I'm guessing that their main audience are people who wear "BLIAR" shirts.

Well, I really enjoy the show, and have been to at least one recording in all but one of the series' to date. Unfortunately a lot of the really good stuff gets cut out, but I think that Hugh Dennis and Russell Howard in particular are very good, both on TV and in the studio.

Dara is bloody annoying though.

a bad version of 'have I got new for you..'

I really enjoy it, it's a bit messy sometimes and they do talk over each other, but all the panel are decent comedians and there's no ex-bog brother contestants on there.

Did anyone notice the tension between Hugh Dennis and Micheal Michael McIntyre last night, refusing to laugh at each others jokes?

Can't say I did. But then I only caught the last 10 minutes or so.

That Michael MacIntyre seems like a bit of a twat.

Quote: Mark @ July 13, 2007, 10:09 AM

Dara's buzzer in the last round for example - they need to take that off him. It's just annoying and people ignore it anyway - they know when they're done.

They nicked that from Whose Line Is It Anyway.

I quite like the show, but I'm not sure I'd watch it if it wasn't for Frankie Boyle.

Its pretty good, always has the odd funny line here and there. Though why they have that bald bloke on so much (SOMETHINg PARSONS?)is beyond me, hes rubbish. Frankie Boyle and Russell Howard are always good value though.

I like it not the greatest show in the world but not bad either. I think it defo good enough to be on tv radio 4 is great for comedy as well. ed byrne was on it it was geat at the last bit him trying to get to the mic.

It's harmless fun with plenty of good laughs in there. And it isn't actually a panel show, because as far as i can tell there is no points system, just Dara saying "and points from that round goes to Hugh, Frankie and _______".