Unknown 1970s sketch

Hey all

My father is doing my head in - he's desperate to find out which comedy sketch show from (possibly) the mid to late '70s featured two men, one admiring the other's DIY work on a chicken coup/shed and the other explaining the intricacies of its construction, only for the whole thing to fall apart as they move away from shot. This sketch may have also featured the repeated quote : "You're So Clever, Brian". The scene would have repeated (with different ojects) throughout the duration of the series.

I've tried Two Ronnies, Benny Hill, Goodies, Dick Emery, Morecambe & Wise, but he's convinced it's none of them.

Any help? He'd be very grateful (and so would I!).

Thank you!

Dick Emery or Les Dawson are who spring to mind as possible 'suspects', but I really can't claim to remember any such sketch.

Griff's right, I'm sure - it was actually two kids, one of them bit a Cadbury's finger in half or something to fit it in his mouth and the other kid said "Why are you so clever Brian?". Then I think the advert fast-forwarded to the same two kids as older men, with the same catchphrase, and that, I suspect, is where the chicken coop bit happened.

I think. I did a quick Google search which came up with the two kids, and the rest of the advert is a very dim, hazy memory. So it might be wrong.

I think I know.

It's Dick Emery. He had a minor character who was an incompetent DIY expert. I can remember two sketches. One was set by a garden shed containing either a home made boat or aeroplane which fell to pieces.

The other sketch was Dick Emery showing a friend around his games room/den which he had built himself. I believe there was a home made snooker table and Dick Emery's friend suggested a game. When he took the triangle off the red balls they all rolled into one corner as the table was not level. Dick Emery who not had seen this responded by saying "I see you have broken off already".

Did I get it right?

Ahh! I remember that character. :)

If I recall didn't the character have a small moustache and wore a bowler hat.

Also the other actor spoke in the same monotone voice no matter what went wrong.

A chicken house featured in the pilot episode of some mothers do ave them. It was wooden and got wrecked as you would expect.

I know about the line 'You're so clever, Brian' ... because 'Brian' was my younger brother, Lloyd, now aged 58. It was Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers, and he and the other kid made two or three adverts with that line. Some twenty years ago my father somehow got hold of the adverts from the production company and had them put onto VHS. But it was only those two kids in the advert - they didn't switch to two older versions of themselves, as I recall.

Quote: M Sensi @ 17th January 2009, 12:05 AM

Hey all

My father is doing my head in - he's desperate to find out which comedy sketch show from (possibly) the mid to late '70s featured two men, one admiring the other's DIY work on a chicken coup/shed and the other explaining the intricacies of its construction, only for the whole thing to fall apart as they move away from shot. This sketch may have also featured the repeated quote : "You're So Clever, Brian". The scene would have repeated (with different ojects) throughout the duration of the series.

I've tried Two Ronnies, Benny Hill, Goodies, Dick Emery, Morecambe & Wise, but he's convinced it's none of them.

Any help? He'd be very grateful (and so would I!).

Thank you!

That is definitely Dick Emery and I think you've got the Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers mixed up in that through the mists of time - it's happened to me like that a couple of times over the years. Easily done.

Quote: Simon Francis @ 15th October 2020, 9:12 PM

I know about the line 'You're so clever, Brian' ... because 'Brian' was my younger brother, Lloyd, now aged 58. It was Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers, and he and the other kid made two or three adverts with that line. Some twenty years ago my father somehow got hold of the adverts from the production company and had them put onto VHS. But it was only those two kids in the advert - they didn't switch to two older versions of themselves, as I recall.

Straight from the horses (brother's) mouth there. Very good of you to drop by.

Quote: Simon Francis @ 15th October 2020, 9:12 PM

Some twenty years ago my father somehow got hold of the adverts from the production company and had them put onto VHS.

Would be very nice to see that on YouTube. :)

There's a couple on there with children, but not your brother's......................