Music....

When I'm writing I often think of music that'll go with what i'm writing, and create a sort of sound track. I quite often jot down the song next to what I've written, with perhaps the intention trying to get that included (if anything is ever made ever). Does anyone else do anything similar?

Also, if I'm sending scrpts off or whatever, should I let them know I want to do this first. Or spring it on them when I'm about to sign my multi million pound golden handcuffs deal? Or as new writer is it best just to forget that type of thing for now, as lifes hard enough as it is?

I think of music, yes. In fact, I often plan out theme tunes and title sequences in my mind.

Regarding sending scripts, I'd say that it's always worth including notes on music, but remember there are many complicating factors, primarily any copyright (which would affect possible DVD releases), so I wouldn't be too insistent or reliant on it.

It certainly doesn't hurt to think of music whilst you're writing, but when you're submitting material I wouldn't bother with notes on the theme tune etc. It's enough of a struggle getting production companies to read your script, let alone notes on music that you would like to see in the show. IMO it's best to save that type of thing for the commission stage. Then, if you're anything like me, you can tell the production company that Shaddup Ya Face by Joe Dolce is the theme tune and, if they don't accept it, they can stick their commission where the sun doesn't shine.

Specific songs are one thing I suppose, but I'd still think that noting a song of x genre/tone/mood/speed wouldn't hurt.

No?

It wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure that there is much point at the submission stage. I guess it's up to the individual. Personally, I wouldn't mention music but there is probably no harm in doing so.

Only once did i ever write a sequence specifically timed to music (Good morning, Good Morning by the Beatles, not that old musical number) but generally I don't bother. I know a band who write ideal pieces for shorts, etc, so i just tap them up for an excerpt.

Wheeler's right re: it's a sod to clear with music companies, just trying to arrange lyric quotes is bad enough. It can cause missing scenes in later DVD releases (the Filthy Rich and Catflap example). Producers begrudge having to pay writers for their work, as it is, let alone fork out how many pounds a second for music extras.

I pretty much thought that. I know I'll have to chill but I'm a bit of music nazi and can't stand the thought of music I don't like on my work.

I'm trying my hand at a radio drama. I didn't think I'd have a problem using music, but deciding on when and how to use it isn't proving as easy I thought.

Because SlagB is in a band we tend to use his songs for sketches etc, which solves (for us) copyright and use issues.