The Old Guys - Series 1

This forthcoming sitcom has 'hit' written all over it. A great writing team and a great cast:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_old_guys/

Starts at the end of the month. More than likely in the Friday 9:30pm slot from the 30th Jan (although that's not confirmed yet).

Quote: Mark @ January 14 2009, 10:30 PM GMT

This forthcoming sitcom has 'hit' written all over it. A great writing team and a great cast:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_old_guys/

Starts at the end of the month. More than likely in the Friday 9:30pm slot from the 30th Jan (although that's not confirmed yet).

Was there a film with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon lusting over a woman recentlyish? And a sequel?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say this could be quite good.

Anyone know how James Donohue (the guy who won the last laugh competition and co-write the pilot) is getting along?

Can I just say I did Mike Davis PI and got a BBC Long List letter? I was quite chuffed at the time. :)

I'll give it a watch, Although IMO BBC comedy recently hasn't been all that good...

Quote: Griff @ January 14 2009, 10:33 PM GMT

even in that early draft form, it was far and away the funniest one.

Really? It left me cold.

Maybe it'll come alive when off the page.

Quote: Griff @ January 14 2009, 11:30 PM GMT

Well done Tuumble, that is most impressive!

Yeah, well done Tuumble. You can also congratulate me Griff 'cause I got a long list letter too. I didn't do The Old Guys I did Love For Sale by Jonathon Harvey, but all of the starter scripts were a bit shit. The problem with The Old Guys script for me was that it just didn't sound like old guys speaking. Still, maybe the series will be good, and at least the guy who won the Last Laugh gets to see his ending televised.

That competition was years ago; I wonder what's delayed the show getting on for so long.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 15 2009, 3:49 AM GMT

The problem with the old guys script for me was that it just didn't sound like old guys speaking. Still, maybe the series will be good, and at least the guy who won the Last Laugh gets to see his ending televised.

Not only did it sound like old guys talking, but I remember it sounding exactly like Mark and Jeremy talking. Still, I'm sure the performances will more than make up for that.

Quick question: who remembers who played the two old guys in the Last Laugh example scenes when originally recorded in 2005?

Can't wait to see Clive Swift in this new sitcom. I've been a fan of his ever since 1990s.

Quote: Tuumble @ January 15 2009, 9:32 AM GMT

Quick question: who remembers who played the two old guys in the Last Laugh example scenes when originally recorded in 2005?

I seem to recall Melvyn Hayes being one of them.

And was the other Don Warrington?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 15 2009, 9:53 AM GMT

I seem to recall Melvyn Hayes being one of them.

And was the other Don Warrington?

Correct for two points!

Second question: Who can remember the name of the actress who played the Icelandic barmaid in the Last Laugh sitcom, The Last Quango in Harris?

CLUE: Now starring in a leading soap and has previous sitcom experience