Marion & Geoff

I have just been watching the first series of Marion and Geoff for the first time and I've never been so enthralled by essentially watching a monologue. It is both funny and incredibly sad at the same time. I think the writing and delivery is very good and they really have the knack of pulling the viewer first in one direction and then another.

I am currently on chapter 6 so I'm looking forward to the last three, then I'll move on to series two.

Def.

Just make sure you stop before the Keith Barret show. That was one incarnation too far for me, and a sad end to a great character.

No no, it was fantastic.

It was okay as light entertainment, but the Keith Barret Show lacked the poignant beauty of the monologues.

I bought my sister series two, for Christmas, along with the first series of Nighty Night, and Flight of the Conchords. I wanted series 1 of M and G as well, but couldn't find it anywhere.

I really enjoyed both series of Marion and Geoff, but I had a hard time watching some of the things in series two -- it just seemed so bad for him sometimes and it actually made me feel ridiculously sad!
But the monologue and understated humour that comes with it is just genius!!

I enjoyed The Keith Barret Show as well, but it probably helps to think of it as a completely new thing, although he plays the same character. :)

x

Tis a great show. As is Human Remains. Brydon really seems to deserve the lead in a great sitcom. No, I'm not going to count that one set in Australia.

Quote: Neera C @ January 12 2009, 6:47 PM GMT

I had a hard time watching some of the things in series two -- it just seemed so bad for him sometimes and it actually made me feel ridiculously sad!

In series one, the point where he held the two Disney toys close to him was practically tear jerking. Does it get worse in series two?

Def.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 12 2009, 6:50 PM GMT

Tis a great show. As is Human Remains. Brydon really seems to deserve the lead in a great sitcom. No, I'm not going to count that one set in Australia.

He was probably the best thing in Gavin and Stacy as well. Although I do think he's failed to deliver on that early promise he showed. Annually Retentive was watchable but never really gelled.

Quote: Deferenz @ January 13 2009, 8:32 AM GMT

In series one, the point where he held the two Disney toys close to him was practically tear jerking. Does it get worse in series two?

Def.

No. It has a happy ending.

Marion & Geoff is one of my favourite comedies ever. Just one character, no flashy settings, one camera and fantastic dialogue and acting.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 13 2009, 1:31 PM GMT

No. It has a happy ending.

It does have a very upbeat ending. That DVD also contains A Small Summer Party, the fifty minute special in which we see the day Keith's marriage broke up. That's also very good, with Tracy Anne Oberman playing Marion and Steve Coogan playing Geoff (although you never really see either properly).

Quote: Deferenz @ January 13 2009, 8:32 AM GMT

Def.

Well I don't want to give anything away, but there is a point from series two that sticks in my mind as quite heartwrenching.

Ah crikey, I love Marion and Geoff, I can't think of anything that others haven't already said to be honest, just that it's great for all those reasons. And unique, unlike the average sitcom - it starts with a fantastic script, an original idea and wonderful acting, and everything else from there is just the icing on the cake :) Gavin and Stacey is similarly worthy of praise in my opinion!

Quote: Griff @ January 14 2009, 12:44 AM GMT

I thought Annually Retentive was a good sitcom, if not great.

I thought it was a bit poo. Certainly the first series was.

I've still not got around to watching the second series of Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive, but really enjoyed the first, and went to the recording of the pilot, which was also very funny.