Sketch Factor Rejection 1

Hiya

This was my first rejection on Sketch Factor. An idea for an original sketch under the criteria 'modern nonsense'.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

===========================================================================
AMBULANCE CHASERS
=================

GRAMSLOW-BUDGET “NO WIN, NO FEE” MUSIC

PRESENTER:
Have *you* been injured filming a commercial that sues companies for accidents at work? You have? Well, you could be entitled to lump sum compensation!

F/X:THE ‘CHING-CHING’ OF A CASH REGISTER OPENING

PRESENTER:
Yes! It’s true! More people are being injured in the filming of these commercials every single day. All you see on TV is the happy ending. Fifteen consecutive commercials on back-street satellite channels. But *behind* the on-screen smiles lies a world of pain and hurt. (BEAT)
Mark here was injured during his first walk-on part…

MARK:
(BRIGHTLY) I turned up for some ‘extra’ work and managed to swing a speaking role. I was delighted! (SERIOUS) It soon turned to tears. Walking at a forty-five degree angle looking directly at camera, describing a fictitious accident scenario, I crashed into a desk where a young lady was pretending to take a claim.

F/X:FOOTSTEPS FOLLOWED BY THUD AND SCREAM OF AGONY. AMBULANCE SIREN BURSTS IN

MARK:
I broke three ribs and dislocated my knee as I fell to the floor. It was agony. (BRIGHTLY) Contacting “No-More: No-Win, No-Fee”, I learnt I was entitled to compensation and was awarded over 8,000 pence!

PRESENTER:
Margot here was temporarily deafened in one ear whilst sitting at the on-screen desk, pretending to take a telephone claim.

MARGOT:
They told me the phones weren’t connected but feedback roared into my ear!

F/X:FEEDBACK FOLLOWED BY RIPPING, TEARING NOISE AND CRASHING OF CYMBALS. AMBULANCE SIREN BURSTS IN

MARGOT:
I couldn’t hear for four days and still suffer from tinnitus now.

F/X:AGGRESSIVE UNRELENTING RINGING BELL

MARGOT:
I claimed… (JOYOUS) …and received fifty-six pounds and seventy-three pence!

PRESENTER:
Tamara was a veteran of such work, having experienced it for over seven years. Her complacency was not at fault for the overwaxed floor as she introduced a commercial.

F/X:NOISE OF SHOES SLIDING ACROSS FLOOR AND WOMAN GOING ‘WOAH!’ BEFORE CRASHING INTO BOXES. AMBULANCE SIREN BURSTS IN

PRESENTER (CONT’D):
One call to us and the production company admitted negligence. She claimed just under four and a half… (BEAT) pounds!

F/XTHE ‘CHING-CHING’ OF A CASH REGISTER OPENING

TAMARA:
(INCREDULOUS) Nothing like this ever happened before!
Not even when I appeared in a big-budget office accident reconstruction on ‘999’. I met Michael Burke!

PRESENTER:
(AGGRESSIVE) Next time you’re injured on set, filming a commercial about suing companies for work injuries, remember to contact “No more: No-Win, No-Fee”. All claims are based on a “No-‘No-Win, No-Fee’, No-Fee” basis. Call now! And *you* could be quids in—ARRGH!

F/X:SOUND OF SHOE SLIPPING, PERSON FALLING DOWN STAIRS AND HITTING FLOOR AS THINGS CRASH ALL AROUND. WE HEAR THE NOISE OF A TELEPHONE BEING SLOWLY DIALLED.

END

Haha, very good. :)

Well, made me laugh. Excellent. Laughing out loud

It a good joke but haven’t just repeated it three times

The line

I learnt I was entitled to compensation and was awarded over 8,000 pence!

Made me laugh :D

Barry

Hi Swerytd

I enjoyed this sketch but as they say to (you and me both) maybe a tad too long as you've made the point well early on.

These ads drive me mental too and I've written several sketches about them myself but I thought your take on the genre was very original and well thought out.

Good stuff!

Excellent but as Barry says, repeating a gag three times. The feedback one was the best btw. It was unexpected.

I agree, brevity is key to writing a decent sketch - something that Catherine Tate has yet to learn - but at the end of the day this was a well executed sketch which does stand up on its own. Why was it turned down? Who knows. Perhaps it didn't have any shock factor.

i've seen something like this before performed by a small theartre group in London, it wasn't exactly the same but i think on the whole of things yours is much better, it springs a joke when you least expect, but it is a little to long, but very funny