Hancock's Half Hour Page 2

I liked the bit in the Missing Page where he was talking about the trail of footprints in the snow all made with a size 10 left footed shoe.

"Must've been a small man in big shoes to lay the suspicion on someone else...I've been waiting for two one legged twins to show up."

I found Hancock aged 8 when I listened to the Blood Donor / Radio Ham LP before collecting most other audio recordings since. Still don't have much TV but if the complete series is only £25 that is about to change.

A classic moment for me in The Missing Page was this bit of dialogue:
HANCOCK: Where's the last page
SID: The murderer's probably took it. So nobody would know it was him that did it (classic Sid James laugh)

'Lit a fag with it? The last page?'

:P

I love the episode 'Absent Friends' - think that's what it's called - when Hancock holds a reunion for his old army friends. It's got Clive Dunn in it playing a superb straight role as one of Hancock's 'reformed' comrades.

The Reunion Party

One of me and me mate's favourite pieces of Hancock dialogue . . .

(Mavis) And don't think I haven't noticed you sitting over there Mr Whateveryournameis, drinking rather heavily to my mind.

(Sid) Eh eh eh, you might be able to push old Whirlwind here about, but don't start on me !

(Clarence) Don't you talk to my wife like that.

(Sid, as only Sid can) Shaddup ! You might have been ok a few years ago but I don't give much for your chances now!'

That last Sid line might not be exact but it conveys the flavour ! :P

32, got into Hancock as my parents had recordings of Blood Donor and The Lift on LP, also vaguely remember watching repeat of The Missing Page when I was a kid. My favourite episode is The East Cheam Centenary, favourite radio episode 'The Christmas Club'.

Edited by Aaron.

Bump! :D

I've just started re-listening (or in one or two cases, shamefully, for the first time) to the radio series in order.

Fascinating to hear how the characters develop. Especially Snide.

But one thing I heard tonight in the episode The Holiday Camp, when welcoming the first visitors, Hancock uses the phrases "Chickerty snitch!" (see The Reunion Party) and also "Hi de hi!" and "Ho de ho!"

Were these phrases commonplace in Butlins type scenarios or did Perry and Croft 'borrow' them from H?

I think "Hi-de-hi!" was taken from the Holiday Camps of the time.

Yes, I'm fairly sure that they were standard jovial expressions.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/11/11/12125/i_punched_a_writer_in_the_face

Haha, wonderful.

I've listened to quiet a few off the net of all vintages, and while some have a huge scope and range, taking off across the world or investing whole train companies etc, I rather prefer the simple domestic ep's where nothing much happens but its beautifully crafted, written and acted. "the last bus home" and the one set on Sunday spring to mind a real classics.

(As an aside, we watched "the Rebel" when at Art Collage. Rather oddly a lot of the staff were quiet offended by it, while we students laughed, shouting out "Your S*it" when he blokes who was supposed to be a good painter's work appeared and we rather liked Tonys efforts...)

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 10 2010, 9:57 PM GMT

But one thing I heard tonight in the episode The Holiday Camp, when welcoming the first visitors, Hancock uses the phrases "Chickerty snitch!" (see The Reunion Party) and also "Hi de hi!" and "Ho de ho!"

Were these phrases commonplace in Butlins type scenarios or did Perry and Croft 'borrow' them from H?

There's at least one Goon Show where "chickadee snitch" is said - by Sellers as Bloodnok, I'm sure - will try to remember which episode today, if I can get the cerebral colander patched. (Actually, it's working this morning), I think it's the one where they sing "Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave" at the end, which is 'Confessions of a Secret Sennapod Drinker' (AKA 'The End') and the whole "chickadee snitch" and "Crest of a Wave" closing bit is a tribute to The Gang Show (which I read in Wilmut's Goon Show Companion or somewhere else).

Quote: Kenneth @ November 11 2010, 8:57 PM GMT

There's at least one Goon Show where "chickadee snitch" is said - by Sellers as Bloodnok, I'm sure - will try to remember which episode today, if I can get the cerebral colander patched. (Actually, it's working this morning), I think it's the one where they sing "Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave" at the end, which is 'Confessions of a Secret Sennapod Drinker' (AKA 'The End') and the whole "chickadee snitch" and "Crest of a Wave" closing bit is a tribute to The Gang Show (which I read in Wilmut's Goon Show Companion or somewhere else).

Peg eight Ode Pal !

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s05e26_confessions_of_a_sennapod_drinker

from The Babysitters
Mr Frobisher(Baby's father):You don't look like babysitters
Hancock did Rembrandt look like a musician?Of course she didnt :D