Hancock's Half Hour

I know there is a thread already, but that is just Hancock, so could count for about three different series (or indeed the 2008 film), so don't close this thread.
To start with, it is a true classic sitcom and definetly the first classic sitcom. I'm currently watching episodes and can't believe just how well it has stood the test of time. Great acting from Hancock and James and from that great support cast he was lucky enough to have (Lloyd, Fabrizi, Bregonzi, Dorning and Hayes etc.) who mustn't go unheard of and of course superb scripts from Galton and Simpson. Favourite episode, The Set That Failed, opinions on that episode if you have seen it, but other crackers for me include: The Train Journey, The Cruise and The Missing Page.

Hi Jack

I just bought My Dad the complete Hancock TV shows boxset.
(So that I could borrow it as well)
5 disk set only 25 quid on Amazon - bargain

Yes, I bought my uncle the box set for Christmas off Amazon; I started to watch it and decided to keep it myself. Uncle Albert got a jumper instead.

Quote: Timbo @ January 3 2009, 12:44 PM GMT

Uncle Albert got a jumper instead.

Are you sure that he didn't get a stripper that turned out to be Raquel? :D

Hancock is the bee's knees. Still funny 50 years on and still will be in another 50. G&S true comedy writing leg ends

Sublime.

Has anyone seen the episode 'The Set that Failed' and can admit it is quite simply stunning.

I 'discovered' Hancock a couple of years back - I've now got every surviving episode on radio and TV.

The writing and the performance allied so well and founded a hell of a lot.

Staggering stuff - lost a little once he'd had his car crash and relaxed into reading his lines from assorted areas of the set, but truly exceptional.

What would be interesting is to know the age of people loving Tone.

Me? I'm 62 and can remember listening to the original broadcasts.

:D

27 myself - found Hancock at 25.

Nothing better than being pushed in the direction of comedy already out there - I got a Dave Allen DVD for Christmas - never seen him before in my life.

Good times.

21 now. Perhaps 19 or something when I first started listening to the radio shows. TV series a year or two before that, at least.

Quote: Rick Allden @ January 3 2009, 3:56 PM GMT

The writing and the performance allied so well and founded a hell of a lot.

Which is precisely why the Paul Merton versions failed so abysmally !

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 4 2009, 11:52 AM GMT

Too true blue. I like Merton but this was not his finest hour.

However he has been saved from the award of worst remake of a classic comedy by pint-sized Geordies, Ant & Dec, and their truly ghastly remake of The Likely Lads episode where they (Bob & Terry) try avoid hearing the score of the England football match.

Define "successful"? Critical? Die hard fans? Ratings? General viewership?

But this is not the thread to do so in.

Quote: Aaron @ January 4 2009, 8:07 PM GMT

Define "successful"? Critical? Die hard fans? Ratings? General viewership?

But this is not the thread to do so in.

Quite right Aaron me ode pal . . .

This is a Hancock thread.

The pause in The Missing Page when Sid 'solves' the murder before H realises that it's not right is, to me, one of the greatest comic moments ever !

:P

Quote: Aaron @ January 4 2009, 10:53 AM GMT

21 now. Perhaps 19 or something when I first started listening to the radio shows. TV series a year or two before that, at least.

I thought you were older than that.

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 4 2009, 11:52 AM GMT

I liked it.

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 4 2009, 10:20 PM GMT

The pause in The Missing Page when Sid 'solves' the murder before H realises that it's not right is, to me, one of the greatest comic moments ever !

:P

Agreed, classic moment. Harry Zimmerman died in chapter 3.