Dad's Army Night - 13th December 2008

Next Saturday is a special Dad's Army night on BBC Two. Most of the programmes on the night are things that have been on before, including the Missing Presumed Wiped documentary and the Comedy Connections episode.

However, there is something rather special on the night. There will be a showing of the episode Room at the Bottom in colour, for the first time since 1970. For many years, the episode only existed in black-and-white.

A colour recording was made, then it was re-recorded in black-and-white from the colour version, which was then wiped. A new technique has been developed which allows it to be restored to its original colour. This is because black and white film frames actually contain the original colour data. New software has been made that encode each frame back to colour at the rate of a frame per four seconds.

Very interesting there Ian, will definitely be watching that. :)

Awesome news!!! That's the next best thing to the lost episodes being found!

For once the Beeb shows an ounce of caring about what it has in it's archives - about bloody time too!

I love Dad's Army, one of my all time favourites, will definitely be watching this. :P

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 7 2008, 12:31 PM GMT

A colour recording was made, then it was re-recorded in black-and-white from the colour version, which was then wiped. A new technique has been developed which allows it to be restored to its original colour. This is because black and white film frames actually contain the original colour data. New software has been made that encode each frame back to colour at the rate of a frame per four seconds.

Are you sure someone didn't just colour it in?

Another Dad's Army night? What about a Steptoe & Son, Fawlty Towers, Hancock night? This 'coloured' episode sounds interesting, but why plan an evening of repeats around it?

Very exciting to see the colour episode of 'Room at the Bottom'. Hopefully, soon, there'll be another thread when we're even more excited as we'll be watching The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Walker, A Stripe for Frazer and Under Fire for the first time since 1969.

Do you think 'I'm watching Dad's Army' is a good excuse for not turning up to a Christmas party?

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 8 2008, 8:25 PM GMT

Do you think 'I'm watching Dad's Army' is a good excuse for not turning up to a Christmas party?

Blimey! Are you Aaron in disguise?

Quote: David Chapman @ December 8 2008, 8:30 PM GMT

Blimey! Are you Aaron in disguise?

Laughing out loud

No, I just like Dad's Army. This has got to be the worst time of year for your DVD recorder to pack up.

Yes, it's a good excuse in my book!

Seen as its the best TV show in history, I think that it is a good excuse. I even think that the people who are attending the party should be arrested by the secret police for not staying in and watching it themselves.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 8 2008, 9:57 PM GMT

Seen as its the best tv show in history, I think that it is a good excuse.

Are you sure you're only about 25?

27. It is a timeless classic, Arthur Lowe will rank as my favourite ever actor. One of the proudest moments of my life was when I was in the TV Museum in Bradford earlier this year, where they have mini-cinemas where you can watch a great range of sitcoms, you tell the supervisor what you want put on in your gallery. There's a Dad and his Son, about five there. 'What shall we watch Son?' Dad's Army, the young lad replied. Absolutely fantastic. Do you like it Dave? After-all, it's not an ITV sitcom.

I quite enjoy it. Very funny at times but I wouldn't put myself out for it.