Writer or Performer or both?

How many of the writers on here also perform or want to perform their own material as well?

While I'm not too sure about the performing thing myself, I can see its advantages - more say, more money and the life of someone who only writes could end up somewhat miserable as your lovingly crafted babies are taken away by strangers.

What would you say the proportion of writer/performer led content is broadcast today? It seems a very different scene to the 60s and 70s when the majority of stuff was created by those who only wrote.

The Slagg Brothers need to move into performance - to get the name about and to begin that ever-important networking with others above us, in the 'know'.

Althought I sorta kinda perform, I have done anything massively serious but next year I'll have my (5 minute) stand up routine down to a tee and I have entered a "variety show" with 3-4 of my sketches and I'll be performing in them (with 3 better actors than me) I feel it makes it easier to write as you can picture yourself in those roles I just need to get over a wee bit of stage fright...I'll be fine I'm confident enough

I had a whirl at standup a few years but discovered it was much more fun making the audience hate me than laugh, umm...

The stuff that catches imaginations does seem to be writer - performer led more often than not these days.

And I reckon that as a writer only the powers that be are going to try steer you into the My Hero/Buzzcocks one-liner sausage factory rather than work with your own ideas.

I think its definitley an advantage if you are performing your stuff as well. I would love to perform my sketches in a little troupe of three or four people, but unfortunately dont know anyone whos interested, and Ive absolutley no desire to go it alone in stand up!

I thought you joined a small group of people on another forum matt?

If thats the one MCOO1 (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT) frankie, jax and others are in, then no. Its in London I think that one, which would be a bitch of a commute!

I think the advantage of performing is that you get instant reactions however if they don't like you that may be a bad thing. Am i the only one who wants to start (doing stand up) in London then move out to the stix as i think that audiences outside of London do not react favourably to taboo subjects? I not saying that they have inferior intellegence or anything like that its just they may react to buzz words or even worse think that i'm racist, homophobic etc. Am I just being paranoid? Who said that?

I think your definitely being paranoid, that sounds like a comment from someone who lives in London. I don't know much about stand up, but I imagine as long as your funny, and performing to the right crowd (i.e. not some womens institute in a little sleepy hamlet somewhere) then you should be okay. Probably...

Having said that, your probably always going to get thick people in the crowd. I was in a comedy club not long ago and the comedian started arguing with a heckler. The heckler was this black woman, and she called the comedian thick or something, he then said thats "the pot calling the kettle black", which the woman thought was a racist comment. Theres not much you can about people like that.

I'm originally from Cumbria by the way.

yes i have, twice, i liked it, it was a risk performing my own stuff but its worth it

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 20, 2006, 6:44 PM

If thats the one MCOO1 (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT) frankie, jax and others are in, then no. Its in London I think that one, which would be a bitch of a commute!

Yes same reason I didn't join dam the midlands been so comedy free

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 20, 2006, 9:37 AM

As just a writer I feel at a distinct disadvantage to those who write and perform. The balance has changed in the last ten or so years, and the majority of shows seem to be writer-performer orientated. I'd love to hook up with some performers, but it doesn't seem that easy.

I never plan to perform, I just haven't got the desire to. But I sometimes wonder if that puts me at a disadvantage too.

Quote: ablurga @ November 20, 2006, 4:56 AM

How many of the writers on here also perform or want to perform their own material as well?

When I write, I do it with myself in mind as the/a lead.