After You've Gone - Series 3 Page 14

Quote: Aaron @ November 19 2008, 7:17 PM GMT

The penultimate episode will be premiering on BBC One Scotland in just under 15 minutes. That's channel 971 for Sky subscribers.

Well, I'm assuming that the special hasn't now been shelved too. :/

When is the last one on? I'm confused Eh?. No wonder it hasn't been getting good ratings when they've switched it from a Sunday to a Friday and then to a Wednesday!

For you, it's only on iPlayer now! BBC scheduling regionalisation is, in my opinion, absolutely f**king stupid.

From what I gather the last episode will be on at Christmas - presumably because it has already been filmed. Ryan Sampson used to visit these boards - I wonder what he makes of all this. He's probably as confused as the rest of us.

As far as I can tell, this is the only sitcom Nicholas Lyndhurst has starred in which has been cancelled. The Two of Us finished in time for The Piglet Files, and he had to leave that in order to do Goodnight Sweetheart, which finished before they could cancel it. And Only Fools and Horses was always up to the cast and crew, anyway. All this is just guess-work on my part, you understand.

Yes, it was supposed to be broadcast on Christmas Day. But I'm thinking it's not a coincidence that a Top Of The Pops special has been announced in the same week...

Quote: Aaron @ November 21 2008, 10:21 PM GMT

Yes, it was supposed to be broadcast on Christmas Day.

As was the one last year. *shrug*

There's a plethora of out-takes for tonight's show involving the quiz machine in the pub. At least After You've Gone might live on in 'Aunties Bloomers' type shows.

I know it wasn't ground breaking comedy, but I liked it. Someone should start a petition or flood the BBC with complaints to bring it back, they seem to be all the rage now-a-days ;) Huh?

Just out of interest, how much does this type of show cost? Once the sets are built the upkeep must be pretty low, all you'd need is studio time, a cast, writers, production team and crew. The show has very few outside broadcasts or fancy effects, and isn't post production heavy. It doesn't sound vastly more expensive than a lot of other shows.

You'd be surprised as to the cost of just the sets, I think - and I'd hazard a guess that they are the, or at least one of the, cheapest single part of the show.

Referring to the budget of the series, Celia Imrie and Nick Lyndhurst wouldn't have been cheap by any means.

I taped it earlier and have only got round to watching it now. The mini motorbike on the road sequence was good. Like Aaron said, this
episode could have wrapped it up nicely. I know this wasn't planned to be the last episode, but it did "feel" like a last-ever episode, what with Alex going for an interview and everything. And Jimmy's girlfriend ditched him earlier in the series. Dare I say it, if it did come back for a Christmas special, I think it would actually spoil the resolution the series had with this episode.

It would be interesting to see what Nick Lyndhurst does next. Before he did this show, I actually wanted him to be in a family "comedy drama" - like Rik Mayall did with "All About George" (goodness only knows why that hasn't come back - I liked it). I think it would be best to get rid of the Rodney typecasting - which he has only ever suffered with this decade, what with his regular presence as Gary Sparrow in the 90s - by going in a drama route. As seen in the "lift scene" in the 1996 Only Fools Trilogy, he can really handle a dramatic scene with finesse.

I liked the hug.

The scene of Jimmy at the traffic lights on his 'bike' was pretty funny.

Let's hope the Christmas special ends on a good note without leaving things open - when they were filming the special they obviously thought they had another series in the bag so I'm worried it's not going to resolve things neatly.

I actually can't remember what happens in the special!

F**k. :/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/11_november/24/christmas.shtml

Looks like it'll still be on! (but maybe not on Christmas Day)

Indeed, it's looking highly unlikely to get the Christmas Day broadcast it was scheduled for. I'm reckoning that the position's been filled with TOTP. I have a few suspicions as to the likely broadcast date, but won't say anything yet.

Fianlly got around to watching Friday's episode. One of the best they've done. The scene where Jimmy pulls the mini-bike out from behidn the settee was so, so obvious, but still incredibly funny, genuinely laugh out loud funny too.

I love this show, it's got great warmth and is just a breeze to watch. There should be more of this stuff on TV, not less.

Good news. Apparently this has been cancelled after scripts were presented for a new series.

How late are you? :P