Lead Balloon - Series 3 Page 5

Interesting that this series seems to have more of a through-story, extending beyond the life of single episodes. It'll be interesting to see how that aspect develops.

Its still an enjoyable show, not as many new storylines per episode as in the past as they use the Magda and Michael ones again as Chip says.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 13 2008, 9:38 PM GMT

I know the producer (kind of) and he told me what a hard day he'd had filming one day, to which I replied "Yeah, and those nurses think they have it tough". And we all laughed.

Isn't that what Alan Partridge said to Sonia when she was complaining about having to cut the carrot cake?

Quote: Tim Faithfull @ November 22 2008, 12:28 AM GMT

Isn't that what Alan Partridge said to Sonia when she was complaining about having to cut the carrot cake?

:D It's not as good an anecdote as that.

A decent series, this, although you can sometimes hear the wheels turning, I think?

I got exactly that feeling with the first two series - like the way the scenes are so set-piece...the first scene after the opening credits is always Rick and his wife?

Every episode I've seen has made me laugh at some point, but get to the end and I feel curiously dissatisfied with the whole. Bit like nouvelle cuisine if that's still around these days. Beautifully prepared and set out, but a bit lacking.

I don't think that it's trying to be too self-knowing, more that the writing is intimidated by its own self-awareness. It has effectively become a 3 running gag motif. Somehow, they don't want to move beyond this comfort zone. The situations therefore become more contrived. The 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' jibes are a little unfair, but not by much.

I feel sorry if the set-up is compared to Curb, since it seems like Jack Dee is just being Jack Dee with tweaks. Also, it's far more understated, British-squirm, loads of pauses (Debussy once said music is the bits between the rests, and I LOVE the way they use silences, even if there is a modicum of padding). It's not remotely American-style brash.

If on the other hand they lift the storylines then that's naughty. The one with the spoons is often quoted, are there any others?

Again, I liked this second episode. As I watched, I actually thought that it was great writing and what sitcom should be about and made me get up and do some of my own -- not an easy feat when I've already sat down to watch TV!

Dan

For me the principal problem with the show is that the relationship with his wife is entirely incredible. She's a publishing executive of some sort? Rick Spleen's the sort of guy who''s never read a book from cover to cover - even at school. If he had more charm or brains or wasn't so mean it might be more believable, or if he actually made her laugh (other than pityingly). How on earth are we supposed to believe they met and fell in love with each other? Some of that may be down to Dee's limitations as an actor - but there is absolutely no physical chemistry between him and Raquel Cassidy - and he seems like a very cold fish.

The Borat-style racism around the home help also grates on me. It will ensure that the show doesn't get repeated in twenty years time. And all the families I know with housekeepers have middle aged Filipinas rather than Eastern Europeans - though granted I don't know that many people with housekeepers.

The first series was very tightly written and lovingly made - down to its Joshua Radin ballads and ridiculous over-grading, but the formula is now tired. The first thing I would have done to refresh the show was give Sam a new boyfriend. The daughter and the boyfriend are essentially the same character anyway - both c**ts.

Agree on the boyfriend.

But Mel's an agent to other barely-celebrities, not an executive.

I have a feeeeling they may have met when she represented him in the past, but don't quote me on that.

She's an agent? If that's the case then it is more credible. I thought she was in publishing. Perhaps someone can chime in.

Well you can also check our character guides.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/lead_balloon/characters/

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 24 2008, 10:58 AM GMT

For me the principal problem with the show is that the relationship with his wife is entirely incredible.

Aren't sitcoms filled with improbable marriages? How did Victor Meldrew manage to snare his wife? Raquel could surely do better than Delboy? And it took six seasons for Larry David's wife in Curb to grow sick of Larry and his gleefully insensitive ways...

Jack Dee's quite sexy.
Not so sure about Rick Spleen. But they met when he was younger and probably less of a curmudgeon...