Shameful Joy...

Do any other writers out there get a real kick when shows fall flat on there face? I know it's not very nice, but I actually find it quite thrilling when the Beeb or Channel 4 launches a new sitcom and it bombs. It's judgement on them for not going with one of my scripts. In a bizarre way way, Eyes Down, The Estate Agents and Orrible have given me as much pleasure as Alan Partridge, Fawlty Towers and The Office. Am I alone in this?

(Incidentally, I would have called this thread Schadenfruade but I wasn't sure of the spelling).

Those Germans have a word for everything.

No, you're not alone in this. I particularly enjoy it when a show sucks and, after the credits roll, I see that it is produced by one of the companies who have rejected my scripts. Scratch that...it's not so much the companies who have rejected my work (that's fair enough, their lookout and all that) - it's the ones who treat you like shit by taking months to get back to you and then sending out photocopied rejection letters or acting like you're a pain in the arse when you contact them to see what's going on. The worst offender being the company who kept me hanging on for the best part of a year before saying no. They then said that they were sending my script back and weeks later informed me that it must have been lost in the post and wasn't their problem.

I don't think the Germans even know how to spell it. It's a real odd language, the way they keep building extensions onto existing words to create paragraphs consisting of a single word.

Schadenfreude.

(Making the world a better place/Making the world a better place to beeeee)

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

some law on beef. (dunno, its all german)
imagine if someone broke that law and they had to keep saying it at court. :P

I'll break that law just to make it happen.

it might even be worth becoming a professor in the law (if such a thing exsists) just to get the letters after my name and have fun writing out cheques and other various *please write name here* things

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 8, 2006, 9:28 AM

Do any other writers out there get a real kick when shows fall flat on there face? I know it's not very nice, but I actually find it quite thrilling when the Beeb or Channel 4 launches a new sitcom and it bombs.

i do as well Jason but not so much with sitcoms more with stand-ups, i went to see a stand-up about 4 weeks ago and he got heckled, and booed,(i only booed once, o.k twice o.k it was all me(not really)) but it gave me this big satisfaction, i felt evil after for booing him(once) its not jeelousy or spite, it just satisfys me. Huh? Huh? Huh? Angelic Angelic Angelic

Schadenfreude: to be bitter and twisted and afraid of rejection - as defined in some obscure dictionary by some prepubescent ex-grad now gainfully employed by the BBC in the comedy commissioning department.

I’m not schadenfreude. Some of my best work has been written in crayon.