The League Of Gentlemen - Series 3

Can't believe there isn't a LOG thread here (I did search too)

Watched Series 3 again. Loved the linking device of the plastic bag and the same end to each episode that's retold from different viewpoints. But episode 6 suffered in my opinion from several issues.

The linking device and the final collision of many of the characters' threads in the crash led me to anticipate a much cleverer ending than was finally offered. The last episode didn't so much add a killer twist but only offered a more comprehensive viewing of the aftermath. It left me wishing they'd had a better end in store.

The emotional tie ups of many of the series 1-3 stories were satisfying (the wedding was a nice touch and gave Pauline a human side that completed the transformation of the dynamic between Pauline, Ross, and Mickey beautifully - Ross partly becoming a Pauline 'Dole Scum' parody before coming back on-line as kind Ross) but the Papa Lazarou chase ending with people embodied within animals didn't seem resolved, it left me wanting a real end to that thread. Perhaps watching it on low volume didn't help me catch all the words. Can someone explain the Lazarou thread resolution / non-resolution?

Some new threads were left isolated and incomplete. The Legz Akimbo / street magician / doctor threads are some but especially the Knight Rider parody which is left with the man and son tied up in a burning building.

3 also suffered from generaly poorly disguised nods to genre that series 1 and 2 were far better at inserting without intrusion. Plus hideous stealing of pub gags - the Stella / Charlie exchange in the toilet "Where are we going?" "I've won the bingo. I'm off to x, you're off to y" is a verbatim retelling of an old Bernard Manning / Chubby Brown gag. And there was a section featuring a rehersal funeral that was almost identical to Futurama's Bender funeral rehersal - but maybe in this instance the borrow is in reverse?

Loved this series not as a comedy but as interesting visual entertainment. I think it failed to match either of its predecessors in terms of laughs or faux horror. I liked the emotional completion of some threads but felt let down because other threads were unresolved. I don't want happy endings, but I do want endings.

In many ways, it was an iconoclastic series in that the writers seemed determined to end the show as a TV entity. But I guess much better for the writers to kill it rather than listen to public opinion, produce more and wished they'd killed it when they wanted to. But I'd have preferred they maintain the standards they set themselves rather than allow the occasional shoddy sections within the last series taint what should be a brilliant and finished piece of work.

Well, I don't know if it helps you with anything, but the people inside animals scenes were not filmed at all how the League wanted. They are really disappointed with and embarrassed by the effects and edit of that part, as they say in the commentary. Apparently it completely changes what they were trying to do with that whole storyline.

And I would definitely say LofG came before bloody Futurama!!
But I would imagine it was probably a coincidence anyway.

Cheers, Zooo. I'll have to listen to the commentary :)

I've been googling for a Papa Lazarou explanation without success.

Well, he'd just been stealing people to put inside his circus animals.

Isn't that enough for you? :D

I like series 3 very much.

Geoff Tipps episode is probably my favourite.

I also always howl with laughter at that dopey bloke who builds his own version of Knightrider.

Yes! His little thing that spat out paperclips!!!

Geoff is the best character. I love him going to London to be a stand up.

Looks like Futurama was first.

But only by a few months. So a total coincidence.

Dammit.

Coming in here... with your facts...

Have to disagree with you Slaggs-series three was great; a bold and brave step away from what they'd done. They could have just served up EXACTLY the same for series three, but instead gave the whole thing a good shake up. I din't feel it let me down in the funny stakes either.

I think 3 is my favourite. That and the Christmas special.

Quote: zooo @ October 28 2008, 11:09 PM BST

Yes! His little thing that spat out paperclips!!!

Geoff is the best character. I love him going to London to be a stand up.

Maybe one day you'll go to London and do standup and then we can all shout "HAHAHAHAHAHA! zooo is just like Geoff Tipps, yes she is!".

And if we're talking funny stakes in series 3, what the hell about the debt collectors? HILARIOUS!

Quote: Winterlight @ October 28 2008, 11:36 PM BST

Maybe one day you'll go to London and do standup and then we can all shout "HAHAHAHAHAHA! zooo is just like Geoff Tipps, yes she is!".

And if we're talking funny stakes in series 3, what the hell about the debt collectors? HILARIOUS!

"Give us the money! Give us the money! Give us the money!" (in high pitched manner)

Some of my highlights from series 3 are Dean and his street magic, Mr Pinchy-nips (the man doing the survey that he calls a 'reporr') and the door-stopping christians who try to claim that a drawing of hell is an accurate depiction and Dr Carlton.

The Dean Tavalorous short extra on the DVD is hilarious.

Well if I wanted to be a standup then yes, but er. Shall we not?

Oh god I love the debt collectors. Reece being proper hard. And Steve eating lots of crisps.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 28 2008, 11:43 PM BST

Some of my highlights from series 3 are Dean and his street magic, Mr Pinchy-nips (the man doing the survey that he calls a 'reporr')

I always spelled it 'repaaaart'. He had a special orthapedic shoe! Aw. I loved him.

and the door-stopping christians who try to claim that a drawing of hell is an accurate depiction and Dr Carlton.

Ah, the great Anne. (Don't laugh.)

Oh no my geeky quoting lines side has come out. :(

When it was first broadcast, I was a little disappointed with it.

Repeat viewings on DVD proved to me that perhaps I had trouble adjusting to it's new style after the first two series.