Production Companies Workloads

Back in April I sent off what were my 10 best sketches to various production companies. It was mostly a stab in the dark, but I thought what the hell. I don't think I heard much back at all apart from a few "Do not accept unsolicited scripts etc" replies. I recently got a reply from Angeleye 6 WHOLE MONTHS later! It's good they replied, but really does open your eyes to how much work they must have to plough through.

Oh and I've got a contact email address out of it. Which is good I guess.

Whats the longest anyone here has had to wait to hear back from people?

Btw, here's what they said to me:

Hi Ben
I like your sketches but we have no need for them at the moment.
Feel free to send us any further ideas for Radio/ TV.
Good luck with your project
Thanks
Kelly

I've definitely had to wait six months before; I think the longest was from the one and only time I submitted to the BBCs Writers Room.

I waited 6 months to hear back from BabyCow.

Def.

I've been lucky and not had to wait massive amounts of time.

Ironically my sitcom that went to the BBC over 6 months ago and still no reply went via a massive production company who invited me in and everything.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 16 2008, 7:04 PM BST

Back in April I sent off what were my 10 best sketches to various production companies. It was mostly a stab in the dark, but I thought what the hell. I don't think I heard much back at all apart from a few "Do not accept unsolicited scripts etc" replies. I recently got a reply from Angeleye 6 WHOLE MONTHS later! It's good they replied, but really does open your eyes to how much work they must have to plough through.

Oh and I've got a contact email address out of it. Which is good I guess.

Btw, here's what they said to me:

Hi Ben
I like your sketches but we have no need for them at the moment.
Feel free to send us any further ideas for Radio/ TV.
Good luck with your project
Thanks
Kelly

Hi Ben, I got a similar email last week from the same person. I sent the original email in May. I also got asked to send in more stuff. Its still positive.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 16 2008, 9:01 PM BST

I've been lucky and not had to wait massive amounts of time.

Ironically my sitcom that went to the BBC over 6 months ago and still no reply went via a massive production company who invited me in and everything.

Have you given up on that avenue or do you think it's still being churned over?

Quote: Winterlight @ October 16 2008, 9:15 PM BST

Have you given up on that avenue or do you think it's still being churned over?

Nah, gave up.

I emailed the guy but he never got back to me. I f**ked up with a little, so I'm probably going to take it elsewhere.

I got told later though that the BBC's way of doing it is a bit shit, and they take ages to get back to EVERYONE, big company or not. So I don't worry.

The script got me sketch work and a great contact so it's not wasted.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 16 2008, 7:04 PM BST

2 years and 5 months... apparently the script got shoved from pillar to post within the Beeb before someone actually read it. It was a partly-topical sketch pilot, and Dennis Thatcher had been dead for ages by the time it got read. They must've thought we were a bit behind the times.

Quote: Bomber @ October 17 2008, 2:02 PM BST

2 years and 5 months... apparently the script got shoved from pillar to post within the Beeb before someone actually read it. It was a partly-topical sketch pilot, and Dennis Thatcher had been dead for ages by the time it got read. They must've thought we were a bit behind the times.

lol Laughing out loud

That made be laugh some. :)

Don't worry about one prod. company taking ages to get back to you and then rejecting your script. Worry when they all get back very quickly (excluding BBC writersroom who are massively snowed-under) and dismiss your work. I have a script that made the ITV commissioner laugh a lot but is "wasn't for them at the moment". That I take as positive.

I sent a sitcom to the comedy lab back in 2006, i'm still waiting for ANY kind of reply.

Anyone think it's a lost cause? Laughing out loud

I've been fairly lucky by the sound of it then. I sent a script to an agent and also a sample and synopsis to Angeleye in May. Last month the agent came back and asked to see more material, and Angeleye came back a week later and said "thanks but no thanks" pretty much. So four months, for me.