I hoped for a writing partner... Page 3

Quote: Marc P @ October 16 2008, 3:56 PM BST

Lee and David from here are looking for writing partners. But only for titles.

No. I'm looking for a new writing partner already. Bussell is completely insufferable. He insists on having an opinion on things, and refuses to accept my word as law. It's like being married, only without the sex. Although he has tried.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 17 2008, 2:56 AM BST

No. I'm looking for a new writing partner already. Bussell is completely insufferable. He insists on having an opinion on things, and refuses to accept my word as law. It's like being married, only without the sex. Although he has tried.

I rite god you styupid.

Well I'm currently looking for a writing partner, because collaboration creates a weird kind of magic. In the best case, both parties write stuff they'd never have thought of alone.

Send PMs or happy thoughts and we can begin a long, awkward but sexually-charged relationship.

It's like being married, only without the sex. Although he has tried.

Don't worry Lee. Dave seems to have a liking for that moose's head.

*Dave looks for new avatar* Laughing out loud

Quote: Loopey @ October 16 2008, 7:15 PM BST

I write on my own and with others. My partners work with other writers too. Sometimes one of us will just come up with a few ideas, other times a whole sketch or song could be jointly written. We bounce off each other for some projects and others just wouldn't work between us. It is a great arrangement for me.

I like this idea. It's almost like an 'open' set of partnerships. I think I'd ideally be suited to having someone as a sounding board that I could share and bounce ideas off of. That would be like having the benefits of a partner but without the associated potential drawbacks.

Def.

I write on my own at 100mph - that's the roadkill you see posted in Critique. If I slowed to 70mph I may spot a decent gag.

I've been thinking of getting a writing partner as I've got an idea for a sitcom but I obviously want it to be comical too and my little brother constantly tells me I'm not funny! (I hate to say it but he could be right) The only issue would be I haven't found anyone living in the same area as me and being a wheelchair user travelling isn't easy either.

Quote: Zuhaib @ October 19 2008, 1:17 PM BST

I've been thinking of getting a writing partner as I've got an idea for a sitcom but I obviously want it to be comical too and my little brother constantly tells me I'm not funny! (I hate to say it but he could be right) The only issue would be I haven't found anyone living in the same area as me and being a wheelchair user travelling isn't easy either.

Being able to see someone face-to-face and in person won't necessarily make it easier to collaborate. More important is having complementary skills/ideas and a compatible way of working, etc.

Give it a go with someone using email, instant messenger, skype and webcam? :)

Well, I write with one of my best friends - after uni, when we saw each other almost every day, we ended up 150 odd miles apart. Hasnt hampered our writing whatsoever. Ok, we had an advantage by being close mates anyway, but if you get into a good routine you can work over distance easily.

We tend to use the wonder of MSN sharing folders to keep track of our work. We work best when we work separately and then have a tete-a-tete about the work we've done. Lots of editing together other and long phone conversations, the occasional meet up when finances allow - its workable as long as you stick to it and know you can work like that.

Having said all that, our stuffs all in the works and completely untouched by professional hand. So this insight is probably completely useless. I'm so glad I worsened my RSI for that...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 19 2008, 1:27 PM BST

Being able to see someone face-to-face and in person won't necessarily make it easier to collaborate. More important is having complementary skills/ideas and a compatible way of working, etc.

Give it a go with someone using email, instant messenger, skype and webcam? :)

That's a good idea, I might give that a go actually.

Personally, I'm very shy about my writing even though I've had (relatively very minor) success. This doesn't mean I'm precious about my output, far from it, more worried or embarrassed that the other party will see me as devoid of talent. Although I write prose (novels etc) and sitcoms and have a sharp eye for editing and plot development, it means that I tend to hold back until I'm confident with the other person. Grief, this sounds like a Lonely Hearts ad eh?

Best thing about collabs with the right people is when a team adds that extra twist which makes even the originator of the gag laugh. Next best thing, that moment when the group can say "great" or "Bollocks" knowing the other party isn't threatened or crushed by the comment because of the underlying respect for each other's abilities. So when I look for collabs I always look for personality as much as talent.

:)

Quote: SlagA @ October 27 2008, 12:32 PM BST

So when I look for collabs I always look for personality as much as talent.
:)

Well, that SlagB fella certainly has it in spades!!!Laughing out loud

(Can you still say spade?Huh?)

I'd like a writing partner but not in the conventional way. I think I'd like to be an acknowledged material contributor. Co-work on specific projects. In novel writing I create characters, some of them are mildly humourous and I've ideas for sitcoms that I believe are saleable, but I couldn't write them.

So are you looking for someone who has no imagination for ideas Michael but can write the stuff up good?

I have plenty of wool. I'm looking for someone who can knit. :P