500 Greatest Films Page 3

Quote: Gavin @ September 29 2008, 9:28 PM BST

No soul?

Yep, that basically sums up Star Wars. I just took you down town Gavin.

Took me down to china town indeed.

Some Like it Hot is funny if you're in your 60's.

Quote: paul toft @ September 30 2008, 8:35 AM BST

Some Like it Hot is funny if you're in your 60's.

Well I'm 30 and I love it. It's no surprise that we all have different tastes and opinions on this. They bring out polls like this every six months and they are always different.

The top ten isn't that bad in my opinion. I love Pulp Fiction a totally original and iconic movie with fantastic dialogue, visuals and story telling. My top ten would be a lot different as would all of yours, as was all of the people who probably did the poll. It's just aggregates.

That poll must be based purely on contemporary cinematic entertainment - it's a bit light on the classic "greats", isn't it?

EDIT: And a lot of the modern "greats" as well. :|

I'd stick Fargo in the top ten. A great crime thriller and a stunningly moral film that reminds us that bad guys aren't cool, just nasty.

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 12:09 PM BST

I'd stick Fargo in the top ten. A great crime thriller and a stunningly moral film that reminds us that bad guys aren't cool, just nasty.

Awesome film!

Quote: EllieJP @ September 30 2008, 12:11 PM BST

Awesome film!

Agreed. Never look at a wood chipper the same way again.

Oooh I'd forgotten that!

I wouldn't have that in my top ten, or even top fifty. Soz.

Quote: EllieJP @ September 30 2008, 12:15 PM BST

Oooh I'd forgotten that!

LOL! thats a classic! as well as getting shot in the neck....Thats it Fargo tonight after promo work. Huzzah!!!

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 30 2008, 12:18 PM BST

I wouldn't have that in my top ten, or even top fifty. Soz.

That is why you fail.

:) It's very overrated imo.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 30 2008, 12:20 PM BST

:) It's very overrated imo.

:P :P

What did people think of No Country For Old Men from the same directors? Although I really liked it, and appreciate it was staying true to the novel, I couldn't help but feel it ebbed away in the last half hour, as the promised showdown between Badem and Brolin never happened. Still a great, thought-provoking film, though.

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 12:23 PM BST

What did people think of No Country For Old Men from the same directors? Although I really liked it, and appreciate it was staying true to the novel, I couldn't help but feel it ebbed away in the last half hour, as the promised showdown between Badem and Brolin never happened. Still a great, thought-provoking film, though.

Agree totally. I did like the guy with the 'air gun'. Tarantino has copied that in Hell Ride.