Broken News

Has anyone been watching the new BBC show "Broken News"? It parodies news reports in lots of quick cuts. I think it represents the speed in which we assimilate information from different sources now. It's so fast-paced it's difficult to take in the news ticker along the bottom of the screen that contains extra gags. But I like it when you know you'll get more out of a show with a second veiwing.

Wasn't this on ages ago? The bits I saw were good but wondered how long it would keep going

If it's the show I'm thinking it is, I don't think I managed to watch the whole of the first episode. Absolutely terrible.

As a sketch the idea was fantastic, as a series the whole thing was stretched to breaking point. I don't think it'll be back.

Quote: Cameron Phillips @ October 2, 2006, 10:19 PM

As a sketch the idea was fantastic, as a series the whole thing was stretched to breaking point. I don't think it'll be back.

I agree, it's not really a sustainable format. I enjoyed the first show I saw, but the second time around I lost interest after a few minutes. It can never really be anything other than more of the same can it?

Quote: Miranda Walker @ October 12, 2006, 11:33 AM

I agree, it's not really a sustainable format. I enjoyed the first show I saw, but the second time around I lost interest after a few minutes. It can never really be anything other than more of the same can it?

I'm going to go against the flow on this and say I really enjoyed it, and I thought it got cumulatively more funny as the series progressed. Unfortunately I'd guess it was a pretty expensive show to produce, and didn't really set the ratings alight, so I doubt they'll be a second series.

It was funny on first viewing, but would have been better as a one off than a whole series. Became a bit repetitive by the end.

Some funny bits though. Loved the regional news presenters, partly cause they were meant to be based in my neck of the woods ("lets not go there").

Hated the showbiz gossip man. Not sure why. Perhaps he was just too much like the real ones - who I can't stand.

The problem with "Broken News" I found was that it was just a bit too close to what "The Day Today" had already done much better.

I wish the BBC would look at "Broken News" and sort out their news output... all those inane live reports (why do they have to stand on a bridge over a motorway live to report on a traffic survey?) and pointless presenter chat that the show parodied are still sadly very much in existance.