Stand up - advice needed Page 2

Quote: Paul W @ August 29 2008, 6:56 PM BST

That's grade A bullshit.

Really? I'll modfiy to highly likely, frankly there's nothing wrong with dying on stage.

Courses won't make you into a standup but they will iron out some of the rough spots and give guidance where you're going wrong.

There seems to be different views on the usefulness of attending a course and while I can see the view of just getting out there and doing it, it appeals to me to pay some money get loads of feedback on my performance and have to deliver it on stage with no chance to "bottle" out.

So game on and once again thanks for your comments, even the shit ones!

Teach yourself Stand up Comedy by Logan Murray is an excellent book, really worth a read - I attended a Stand Up Course at the Comedy Store, and I didn't really learn anything more than I had already read in this book.

A bonus of doing courses though, I found myself, was the workshop side of things, where you discuss each others set/bounce idea around/discuss why some things work and some things don't - And of course theres the networking side of things - it so important to build up contacts, although trawling internet forums can start to build them for you.

In conclusion, reading a good book, watching plenty of live comedy, talking to comedians and taking the plunge will stand you in very good stead. A comedy course will help, but for the money you spend you won't learn much more.

Quote: sootyj @ August 30 2008, 9:17 PM BST

Really? I'll modfiy to highly likely, frankly there's nothing wrong with dying on stage.

Courses won't make you into a standup but they will iron out some of the rough spots and give guidance where you're going wrong.

I've not done a stand up course and I haven't died on stage, some jokes have caused some crickets but certainly not enough to consider mysefl as dying and neither have many of the great stand ups.

You're thinking too highly of these courses Sooty, I'm not dissing them either, perfect example of this is Danny, seems to have done him the world of good.

Thanks for all the advice, have just completed my first stand up gig and was asked back next week and recieved great feedback so am buzzing and on cloud nine!!
Everyone should do it.

Would happily recommend the laughing horse course.

Daddy

Laughing Horse in Richmond, Just did a 5 minute routine and will be back there next Sunday as I think I'm hooked!!
Crapping it all weekend but luckily it just came together in the end, I missed out loads of stuff without realising but somehow got away with it.

Congratulations. The last time I performed comedy in front of people was when I was in my last year of Primary school, and I've never forgotten the buzz I got from it. I'm determined to do it again one day.

Anybody who gets on stage in front of an audience to make them laugh is quite brave I reckon. Well, done mate!