Dear John... Page 2

Yes, a great show. My favourite charactor was Ralph 'My Motorcycle Combination'

Quote: Ian G @ September 4 2008, 7:42 PM BST

I've found it!!
It's Dogfood Dan & The Carmarthen Cowboy from 1988.
It was written by David Nobbs, so it's unusual that I didn't like it.
Sorry to send you up a blind alley re. JS, Aaron, but I've spent most of the afternoon looking for it, too. :$

Ahhhh! I seeee. Can't find any mention of it being set in Hull, but it's one of those shows I've always wanted to see, purely on the title. Well found. :)

The pilot episode is an extra on the A Bit Of A Do DVD. Haven't actually watched it yet myself.

Oh reeeeeally? I'll have to check that one out then! :)

Well, Dogfood Dan was delivering dogfood from Hull to Cardiff, the Carmarthen Cowboy was making the same run in the opposite direction.
Each man was having an affair with the other's wife, so at least part of it was set in Hull.
Ok, it's a tenuous claim to fame but we'll take all we can get. City won't be in the Premiership forever, after all! :D

Actually, I wouldn't mind giving it another look to see if it was as bad as I remember it.

Aha, I see! Well I'll certainly hope for it to become available.

Quote: Ian G @ September 4 2008, 7:42 PM BST

It's 'Dogfood Dan & The Carmarthen Cowboy' from 1988.

Starred David Daker and Gareth Thomas, and was half decent as i recall.

There was also a mention earlier in this thread to Roger, Roger, which was excellent.

According to IMDB, it starred Malcolm Storry as Dan and Peter Blake as the Cowboy.

I thought 'Roger Roger' was excellent, too.

Quote: Ian G @ September 5 2008, 11:26 AM BST

I thought 'Roger Roger' was excellent, too.

Didn't that have the receptionist from Alan Partridge in just wearing a bra and panties?

Yes, Barbara Durkin was in Roger Roger, and yes, she did seem to spend most of her time in just her underwear.

Just been watching Dear John... for the first time in 20 odd years, so simple, so fantastic. Kirk is such a great character.

Great theme song too.

It sure was, and great opening credits for the first series.

Quote: noddy @ August 14 2009, 3:10 PM BST

Just been watching Dear John... for the first time in 20 odd years, so simple, so fantastic. Kirk is such a great character.

Ralph's the best.

I loved this at the time, and Just Good Friends was excellent as well.

The episode of Dear John... that's sticking out in my mind is the one with Kevin Lloyd? Tosh Lines from the Bill.
He played an old pop star, with a spandex silver suit reminding people of his big hit single 'Not On My Birthday'.

Why don't they ever seem to repeat Dear John...?
Ralph Bates' performance was excellent, and it was a quality show.