Russia's declared war Page 15

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 12:53 PM BST

I don't think Brits are allowed to watch CNN videos. So far, 0 of them have worked for me.

Hmm, that surprises me.

This is the video of Turkish reporters being attacked in Georgia. The CNN video is clearer and has better sound, but there's also a copy on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gONOzTOO-6o

Quote: DaButt @ August 15 2008, 1:50 PM BST

Hmm, that surprises me.

Me, too. I can access CNN videos from Germany. Not the live streams, though.

Blimey.

Merkel and Sarkozy blocked Georgia's entry into NATO, despite them completing all the requirements for membership.

Green lighting Russian military action.

That stinks if those pious, hypocritical turds are going to turn NATO into the EU's neighbourhood watch we should leave.

The EU's a flipping joke.

Sarkozy's a knob. And Merkel's creepy.

But it would appear so is NATO and that is depressing.

The idea that the EU is becoming a protectionist fat cat's club for Western Europe, and the bits of central Europe that can tow the line.
That stinks.

Especially if were turning the rest over th Russia's not so gentle embrace.

All this smacks of the 1930s and 1950s in a fairly ugly way.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 2:03 PM BST

But it would appear so is NATO and that is depressing.

NATO, UN, EU, all pretty much the same in terms of effectiveness and international co-operation.

The EU's basically Nazi Germany of course.

Well that's a little extreme.

I mean the EU got rid of the death sentence and all that.

Unless you mean geographically.

Well, Merkel's definitely not a fan of Russia. And she's told Medvedev (in front of cameras) that she thinks Russia's actions in Georgia are not proportional.

She also said that the territorial integrity of Georgia must remain intact under all circumstances, whereas Medvedev bluntly claimed the borders didn't reflect reality anymore and are somewhat obsolete.

BTW: International cooperation is always clunky and there's always a lot to make better. The costs of getting rid of those institutions and trying to coordinate bilaterally only are much higher.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 2:09 PM BST

Well that's a little extreme.

I mean the EU got rid of the death sentence and all that.

Unless you mean geographically.

Its federal aspirations and geographical cover aren't exactly the binary opposite of Adolf's.

Quote: Finck @ August 15 2008, 2:10 PM BST

Well, Merkel's definitely not a fan of Russia. And she's told Medvedev (in front of cameras) that she thinks Russia's actions in Georgia are not proportional.

She also said that the territorial integrity of Georgia must remain intact under all circumstances, whereas Medvedev bluntly claimed the borders didn't reflect reality anymore and are somewhat obsolete.

He believes that everyone owns everything. Including national borders.

Bet he pissed his pants when she said that.

Is EU sending any aid or is it all US?

n.b. Gordon Brown is a master at making grumpy speeches then doing sod all.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 2:12 PM BST

Its federal aspirations and geographical cover aren't exactly the binary opposite of Adolf's.

Well the EU doesn't seem to want Russia, just it's vast natural resources.

If all they have to do to get them cutprice is turn a blind eye to Russian naughtiness. Then I'd say they're way smarter than Hitler.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 2:12 PM BST

Is EU sending any aid or is it all US?

The UNHCR has sent three waves of relief supplies. The EU is flying out refugees at the moment. Problem is that the aid workers aren't let through.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 2:12 PM BST

Hm. Obviously I didn't know what federalism meant until now.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 2:14 PM BST

Well the EU doesn't seem to want Russia

I dunno. If it doesn't, it's only due to the amount of money which it would have to throw at the bear for regional regeneration.

Give it a few years. :)

Just in case anyone else had problems, here's a far superior source for the journalist shooting video. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7563706.stm

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2008, 2:39 PM BST

Tea sucks!

Tea does suck yes. But a hell of a lot less than war. . .

Besides its not the actual tea that I like, its the ritualistic habit of "having a tea". It is, in essense, pretty gross.