Not Going Out - Series 3

I suppose it should have it's own thread really rather than be tacked onto the end of series 2.

Has anyone been to one of these read-throughs before? Is it usual or quite unique?

As mentioned tickets are available now for the actual recordings too.

I went to one of the read-throughs for series 2, and it was pretty good. Nice informal couple of hours. They did two episodes IIRC. Good to see without the distraction of all of the cameramen, sound operators, retakes, etc.

I've got tickets for the recording on 18th October, I think. Seems ages off at the mo!

But I bet the read-throughs would be interesting. I wasn't quick enough getting tickets for that!

Edited by Aaron

Just a quick heads up that the venue does (or was doing) a discount on food for people going to see the read-throughs, so it might be an idea to get there a little early and get some food.

Quote: charlier @ August 20 2008, 6:58 PM BST

Just a quick heads up that the venue does (or was doing) a discount on food for people going to see the read-throughs, so it might be an idea to get there a little early and get some food.

Oooh! I was wondering what to do about that. Still the problem is to get there early enough because I'm sure it's well oversubscribed. I'm hopefully going tomorrow.

I'm booked for the real thing on 12 October.

A very good evening. Two episodes run through. A couple of jokes didn't go down. "I knew no-one would get that one" said Lee so he changed it.

Very good educationally. Very good performances plus 20% off my dinner.

I was in the second row and they were practically on top of us(!!!)

A great venue and one we're going to look into for the future.

Quote: David Chapman @ August 22 2008, 12:00 AM BST

I was in the second row and they were practically on top of us(!!!)

Cor!

What was the joke no one got? Did you get it?

Quote: zooo @ August 22 2008, 12:41 AM BST

Cor!

What was the joke no one got? Did you get it?

Not really. It was about Derren Brown and I really don't know anything about him.

Surprised you didn't apply zooo.

It was only at Battersea.

They've got tickets still available for every show in the next series except for the Christmas show.

Did the same cast and characters all return from the previous series?

Oh yeah! Who is in this series David?

(I know that's just the same question as Nick asked, but I'm going ahead anyway.)

Quote: Nick @ August 23 2008, 11:07 AM BST

Did the same cast and characters all return from the previous series?

I didn't go to the read through, but I think I'm right in saying that the main four leads are back (Lee Mack, Tim Vine, Sally Bretton, Miranda Hart) but not the character of Guy (Simon Dutton)

Oh I see.
I may not be in the majority, but I'm glad Miranda's still there!

Seems about right - the main 4. There was a woman I didn't recognise who played several parts and a youngish bloke.

But Miranda was there plus Tim's dopey girlfriend. She seemed quite nice. I asked her in the bar afterwards what is what like having to act stupid. She said it was good because she could just have a vacant expression. I didn't want to interrupt Lee or Tim. Lee was discussing suggested rewrites.

The actress who filled in a lot of different female parts at the read-throughs was Angela McHale, a regular on Lee's Radio 2 show and she played the clown school teacher way back in Episode One, Series One.

I went along to one of these evenings and really enjoyed it (especially seeing an episode I'd written come to life). I'm not sure how the ticketing systems worked, but a group of people turned up and had travelled all the way from Bournemouth and were turned away at the door as it was full up, or over-subscribed. I know moves were made to try and squeeze them in, but it seemed a bit of a shame to come all that way without tickets?

In other news, I was lucky to be part of an audio commentary for the Series Two DVD last week. Lee and Tim were doing three episodes, with a different guest on each one. We did Baby. They've also done Mortgage and Dating.

No airdates for Series Three yet. Even though it will be filmed in time for a pre-Christmas transmission, it's still possible that BBC1 will air it in January. As soon as we know, you'll be told. We are making a Christmas special again though. We'll see. No official date for the DVD either, but you'd imagine that would be in time for Christmas.